- Molecular Hydrogen: The King of Antioxidants
Molecular Hydrogen: The King of Antioxidants
Molecular Hydrogen Research in Medicine
Molecular Hydrogen is truly the King of Antioxidants. Molecular Hydrogen research has been going on for about 30 years, but really took off about 10 years ago with a ground-breaking article about molecular hydrogen. This article peaked medical interest, because: 1) the potential health benefits of molecular hydrogen are unlimited, and apply to almost every disease that plagues man; and 2) the properties of molecular hydrogen are such that it has been proven to be harmless to human consumption thus far. Here is a video where Dr. Ohta of Japan is being interviewed by Tyler Lebaron of the Molecular Hydrogen Institute about his dozen years of research into the medical uses of molecular hydrogen and its safety.
Molecular hydrogen, also known as hydrogen gas, H2 or H2-, can be consumed most conveniently when dissolved in a liquid, but one is also able to inhale it with a cannula. Many recent research reports are looking upon molecular hydrogen as the most powerful antioxidant found to date -- with no harmful effects whatsoever.
- Molecular hydrogen has been seen to positively influence, ameliorate, or even reverse over 150 diseases to date, including those mentioned in the above video. Here is only a partial list of diseases molecular hydrogen has been shown to help: Parkinson's Disease, cancer, radiation damage, muscle fatigue of athletes, 8 of the 10 top fatal diseases listed by the CDC, metabolic syndrome, obesity, Diabetes, Alzheimers, neurological disorders, inflammatory disorders, glaucoma, Prion disease, Tauopathies, Frontotemporal lobar degeneration, Huntington's disease, dementia, cerebral hemorrhage, preeclampsia, neurotoxicity, HGC disorders, sperm motility disorders, sperm concentration disorders, Alexander disease, cataracts, traumatic brain injury, ischemic brain injuries, strokes, heart attacks, retinitis, cystic fibrosis, heart disease, testicular oxidative stress, hypertension, sickle cell disease, and much more. It is also known to relieve the oxidative stress that causes negative side effects with chemo-therapy and helps to maintain normal ATP levels.
- It can penetrate the cell membrane barrier; blood-brain-barrier and placenta barrier.
- It appears that molecular hydrogen protects the mitochondria and that is one theory as to why it positively affects so many organs and diseases. Mitochondria is where cell-mutation is known to initiate, and the cause is theorized as oxidation.
- Molecular hydrogen has no known disadvantages to health or warnings. Where is is not needed, it does nothing. Where it is needed it is seen to have a powerful and significant beneficial influence.
Molecular Hydrogen's Ability to Scavenge Free Radicals
Molecular Hydrogen is now known by prominent researchers world wide for its ability to truly penetrate through cell membranes (even the blood-brain barrier) and scavenge free radicals.
Hydrogen is not like any other antioxidant. Due to its tiny size and its lipid solubility, hydrogen (unlike all other antioxidants) can get into every living part of the body. This discovery is HUGE. All other antioxidants are incapable of this feat.
Hydrogen at the Root of Life
School children know that the combination of H2 and Oxygen makes water, which is at the source of all life. Oxygen also brings life, but unfortunately complications of too much oxidation within the body is at the root of almost all disease. Active Oxygen, a dangerous free radical which causes a terrific amount of damage to cells is specifically attacked and neutralized by tiny molecular hydrogen. This is done with no harmful waste or byproducts produced.
Recent research has shown that hydrogen is the only antioxidant that can completely neutralize active oxygen and render it utterly harmless. At the same time molecular hydrogen doesn't attack good radicals in the body. It will never act as a poison to the body, and any excess of it will simply evaporate harmlessly and combine with oxygen in the air to hydrate or moisturize it.
Other types of antioxidants have been found to become free-radicals, themselves, once they have donated their electron to neutralize another molecule. This doesn't happen with molecular hydrogen. As a matter of fact molecular hydrogen is able to refresh the antioxidant abilities of various other antioxidants to keep them from becoming free-radicals. After much testing and scrutinizing no negative effects whatsoever have been found to be caused by molecular hydrogen.
In this video Tyler LeBaron explains the current knowledge to date, along with full theory of molecular hydrogen in a concise, one-hour, video.
Molecular Hydrogen Machines & Filters
You can consume molecular hydrogen safely in a variety of ways. My favorite way is with a high-end water ionizer which has been specifically upgraded to produce the maximum amount possible of molecular hydrogen (for this I particularly advise you get a machine that uses "continuous cleaning" of the plates. To find these water ionizers that continuously clean the plates go to the Water Ionizer Comparisons page and look for the 13th column (Cleaning Type & Quality). The ionizers that have "continuous-cleaning" are the best ones for molecular hydrogen.
Hydrogen machines and ionizing water filters are also quite good. Another way to very efficiently consume molecular hydrogen in great quantity is by using a Hydrogen Gas Inhaler, such as the SPE-270. I personally use a combination of all these types of molecular hydrogen producing devices.
READ THE LATEST MOLECULAR HYDROGEN RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF: Molecular Hydrogen Research Articles from US National Library of Medicine National Instutes of Health Website:
This is a general review of Molecular Hydrogen research in the areas of: post-cardiac syndrome, Parkinson's disease, metabolic syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, cerebral ischemia and hemodylisis. It covers the biological benefits of Molecular Hydrogen as well as clinical applications. They state, "Overall, the impact of molecular hydrogen in medicine is extraordinary. The non-toxic and rapid intracelluar diffusion ..."
- Physiological effects of alkaline ionized water: Effects on metabolites produced by intestinal fermentation
Japanese study found that long-term ingestion of alkaline ionized water (AIW) reduces caecal fermentation in rats that were given highly fermentable commercial diet.
Healthy patients had a higher intestinal pH than patients with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Potential benefits of pH 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease.
Researchers conclude that alkaline pH water (8.8) "has good acid-buffering capacity. Thus, the consumption of alkaline water may have therapeutic benefits for patients with reflux disease."
Researchers have shown that Molecular Hydrogen reduces oxidative stress in Rheumatoid Arthritis patients. It helps to control systemic inflammation and benefits the state of health generally.
- Hydrogen-rich water decreases serum LDL-cholesterol levels and improves HDL function in patients with potential metabolic syndrome
Researchers discovered: "administration of H2 water seems to decrease serum TC and LDL-C levels and improve HDL functions in patients with potential metabolic syndrome."
Researchers discuss the relation of oxidative stress to mental disorders and clinical uses for Molecular Hydrogen in treating bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and other mental disorders.
Researchers state that Molecular Hydrogen is effective for: diabetes mellitus type II, metabolic syndrome, hemodialysis, inflammatory and mitochondrial myopathies, brain stem infarction and radiation-induced liver tumors. They also point out no adverse effects were documented in the human diseases they have researched.
Researchers discuss how oxidative stress is a major cause of most lifestyle-related diseases, including cancer and aging. They explain the scavenging effect of Molecular Hydrogen as its many advantages over other anti-oxidants.
"Statistical analysis revealed that alkaline water provides higher longevity in terms of “deceleration aging factor” as it increases the survival functions when compared with control group."
Review of research, finding "Hydrogen is extremely unique since it has the capability to act at the cellular level." and "hydrogen exerts antioxidant, anti-apoptotic, anti-inflammatory, and cytoprotective properties that are beneficial to the cell. "
Explains how "Oxidative stress and neuroinflammation cause many neurological disorders." And, they discuss how H2, molecular hydrogen, by targeting and eliminating Oxygen radicals, can potentially relieve this condition.
Researchers state, "Persistent oxidative stress is one of the major causes of most lifestyle-related diseases, cancer and the aging process," and cite several clinical trials.
This is a review, summarizing the research findings regarding using molecular hydrogen in the field of sports medicine. They say, "In the past 2 decades, molecular hydrogen emerged as a novel therapeutic agent, with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects demonstrated in plethora of animal disease models and human studies."
This was an animal study using molecular hydrogen in gas to test the anti-inflammatory effects of molecular hydrogen. They said, "the treatment had significant protective effects toward the liver."
This research used mdx mice to test the effects of hydrogen water on muscular dystrophy. They found that it prevented abnormal body mass gain, improved running ability, and decreased the number of central nuclei of muscle fibers.
Researchers found "Inhalation of molecular hydrogen (H2) gas ameliorates oxidative stress-induced acute injuries in the brain." They determined the beneficial effects of molecular hydrogen inhalation by studying neuroblastoma (a certain type of cancer) cells of infected rats' after death.
Research showed benefits in ameliorating cardio-renal injury after drinking hydrogen water for 6 weeks of the induced injury.
Researchers found "Hydrogen gas (H2) exerts a therapeutic antioxidative effect by selectively reducing ROS (reactive oxygen species)."
Researchers tested the benefits of drinking hydrogen water to type 2 diabetes. They found, "Drinking H(2)-water reduced hepatic oxidative stress, and significantly alleviated fatty liver in db/db mice as well as high fat-diet-induced fatty liver in wild-type mice. Long-term drinking H(2)-water significantly controlled fat and body weights, despite no increase in consumption of diet and water. Moreover, drinking H(2)-water decreased levels of plasma glucose, insulin, and triglyceride, the effect of which on hyperglycemia was similar to diet restriction. "
Researchers show how H2 inhalation is beneficial (with or without commencing other treatments) after a patient has received cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). They say, "it significantly improves brain and cardiac function in a rat model of cardiac arrest (CA)"
- Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury is a risk factor for Alheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. These researchers examined the ability of molecular hydrogen water to benefit the condition. They found: "These results show that molecular hydrogen given in drinking water reverses many of the sequelae of CCI and suggests that it could be an easily administered, highly effective treatment for TBI."
- Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on the quality of life of patients treated with radiotherapy for liver tumors.
Research shows that "QOL (quality of life) scores during radiotherapy were significantly improved in patients treated with hydrogen-rich water compared to patients receiving placebo water."
- Effect of Hydrogen‐Rich Water on Oxidative Stress, Liver Function, and Viral Load in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B
After treatment, the oxidative stress remained unchanged in routine treatment group, but markedly improved in hydrogen treatment group.
- Hydrogen(H2) treatment for acute erythymatous skin diseases. A report of 4 patients with safety data and a non-controlled feasibility study with H2 concentration measurement on two volunteers.
Researchers concluded: "An improvement in acute erythemtous skin diseases followed the administration of H2 enriched fluid without compromising the safety."
- Hydrogen-rich electrolyzed warm water represses wrinkle formation against UVA ray together with type-I collagen production and oxidative-stress diminishment in fibroblasts and cell-injury prevention in keratinocytes.
Researchers concluded that hydrogen water can serve as a daily skin care (preventative to UVA-induced skin damage from reactive oxygen free radicals), and it promotes type-1 collagen synthesis in dermis.
- Hydrogen water intake via tube-feeding for patients with pressure ulcer and its reconstructive effects on normal human skin cells in vitro.
Researchers concluded that hydrogen water helps to reduce wound sizes in elderly patients and promote natural healing.
- Preventive Effect of Hydrogen Water on the Development of Detrusor Overactivity in a Rat Model of Bladder Outlet Obstruction.
Researchers concluded, "H2 water could ameliorate bladder dysfunction."
- Treatment with hydrogen molecule attenuates cardiac dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice.
Researchers suggest that molecular hydrogen could be used as a natural countermeasure for diabetic cardiomyopathy.
- Protection of the retina by rapid diffusion of hydrogen: administration of hydrogen-loaded eye drops in retinal ischemia-reperfusion injury.
Researchers conclude that using hydrogen (H2) loaded eye drops has no toxic effects on the human body, and "is highly useful as a neuroprotective and antioxidative therapeutic treatment for acute retinal I/R injury."
- Hydrogen and N-acetyl-L-cysteine rescue oxidative stress-induced angiogenesis in a mouse corneal alkali-burn model.
Researchers conclude that "Immediate antioxidant therapy with H2-enriched irrigation solution is a new potent treatment of angiogenesis in cornea to prevent blindness caused by alkali burn."
The researchers' findings "show the potential of hydrogen to protect auditory hair cells from ROS-induced damage." In other words acts as a prevention to hearing loss in the elderly.
Researchers state that Molecular Hydrogen's benefit for medicine is no longer theoretical. It summarizes the data from clinical trials of H2 and states that molecular hydrogen is clinically effective.
This is another review of molecular hydrogen research. "H2 seems to differ from conventional pharmaceutical drugs. Owing to its great efficacy and lack of adverse effects, H2 has promising potential for clinical use against many diseases."
- Suppressive effects of electrochemically reduced water on matrix metalloproteinase-2 activities and in vitro invasion of human fibrosarcoma HT1080 cells
Researchers conclude: "can be easily consumed in daily life and may be a promising antioxidant for the prevention and improved treatment of cancers."
Ionized water in aerosol may have "a long-lasting beneficial effect on asthma symptoms, lung function, and airway inflammation."
- Hydrogen Improves Glycemic Control in Type1 Diabetic Animal Model by Promoting Glucose Uptake into Skeletal Muscle
Our study demonstrates that H2 exerts metabolic effects similar to those of insulin and may be a novel therapeutic alternative to insulin in type 1 diabetes mellitus that can be administered orally.
- Anti-diabetic effects of electrolyzed reduced water in streptozotocin-induced and genetic diabetic mice.
"The present data suggest that ERW (ionized water) may function as an orally effective anti-diabetic agent."
"Consumption of HW is a promising strategy to alleviate renal injury as a supplement for anti-hypertensive therapy."
Is "an effective therapeutic strategy for TBI (traumatic brain injury) patients."
- Supplementation of hydrogen-rich water improves lipid and glucose metabolism in patients with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance.
"Intake of hydrogen-rich water normalized the oral glucose tolerance test."
- Consumption of molecular hydrogen prevents the stress-induced impairments in hippocampus-dependent learning tasks during chronic physical restraint in mice.
"Continuous consumption of hydrogen water reduces oxidative stress in the brain, and prevents the stress-induced decline in learning and memory caused by chronic physical restraint. Hydrogen water may be applicable for preventive use in cognitive or other neuronal disorders."
"Accumulating evidence has shown that reduced waters are health beneficial and they suppress oxidative stress-related diseases such as diabetes, cancer, arteriosclerosis, neurodegenerative diseases, and the side effects of hemodialysis."
The results were that dogs which drank alkaline ionized water showed significant improvement over the ones that drank just the tap water. After completing the animal studies using ionized alkaline water and discovering that there was significant improvement in dogs that were afflicted with renal failure researchers stated: “Alkaline ionized water can be considered as a major safe strategy in the management of metabolic acidosis
Results suggest that long term consumption of this water slows the effects of aging and may improve the peripheral circulation; serve as an adjunct therapy for diabetes and kidney disorders; and help prevent cardiovascular and other chronic diseases.
- Anti-diabetic effects of electrolyzed reduced water in streptozotocin-induced and genetic diabetic mice.
The present data suggest that ERW may function as an orally effective anti-diabetic agent
After exercise-induced dehydration, consumption of the electrolyzed, high-pH water reduced high-shear viscosity by an average of 6.30% compared to 3.36% with standard purified water (p = 0.03).