A Full Comparison of Jupiter Athena Plates, Power and Performance With Enagic SD501 .
The Athena plates are so innovative that this one, single feature allows for the better performance of the Athena water ionizer at the lower, drinking-levels of ionization. Both the Enagic SD501 water ionizer and the Jupiter Athena water ionizers are excellent water ionizers. I have done numerous testing of the power and performance of these two water ionizers [you can see, below, for actual testing and link to more testing.]
I have found the biggest performance difference between the Jupiter Athena and the Enagic SD501 to be in the flow-rate of each water ionizer:
- The Enagic SD501 has a faster ionization but not better ionization.
- Bigger is not Better: There are a lot of websites claiming that “bigger is better” and the many Enagic websites I’ve seen focus on this point, however when I compared them originally [about 5 years ago] and then every time since, the Enagic did not perform significantly better than the Athena. As a matter of fact at the lower [drinking levels] of pH the Athena has consistently performed better than the Enagic. In this video you can see the Enagic and Athena water ionizers both at 9.7 pH [but the Enagic only has a -125 ORP and the Athena has -277]. Also at the second level the Enagic Kangen-Water machine at 10.1 pH had an ORP of -222 while the Athena at 9.9 pH had an ORP of -605. Note: Kangen Water is a trademarked term, by the Enagic company, which refers to antioxidant-rich alkaline ionized water. You can see the entire article by clicking the “Bigger is not Better” link, above.
- The Athena water ionizer does best when the flow-rate is 1.5 to 2 liters per minute. This is the perfect flow-rate for filtration by the way. The Enagic’s Kangen-Water machine will not operate well at 1.5 -2 liters per minute and does better at about 2.2 to 3 liters per minute. The Athena will operate faster than 2 liters per minute and the Enagic will operate faster than 3 liters/min, but the ionization falls off with both when the water is running too fast.
- The Jupiter Athena plates allow this water ionizer to have a more efficient ionization at the lower pH-levels. It’s easier to get lower pH-levels with the Athena, and when you do, the ORP [antioxidant potential] is better than what you are able to get with the Enagic at the same pH-level.
The biggest physical differences between the Enagic SD501 and the Jupiter Athena are their Plates & Water Cell Technology Used:
- Jupiter Athena vs Enagic Plates/Water Cells: The size, number and construction of the Jupiter Athena plates are vastly different than the Enagic plates, of the SD 501 water ionizer.
- The Enagic water cells are bigger but definitely not better.
- 5 mesh-plates; each plate 3″x5″; the total square inches of plate surface area that the water touches in a Jupiter mesh plate is estimated to be about double what a same-sized flat-plate would be, so the estimated surface area of the Jupiter mesh-plates is 300 square inches. The Enagic water ionizer’s flat plates are 5″ x 7″ and a total surface area touching water is 490 square inches.
- So, with larger surface area by square inch of the Enagic plates vs the Athena plates, why doesn’t the Enagic ionizer perform better than the Athena performance? The actual mass of the Jupiter Athena plates are estimated to be about 1/4 of the mass of the Enagic SD 501 plates. In electronics, a smaller mass of the electrode is good, it’s more efficient. Basically the smaller the mass of the electrode, the less power is needed to do the same amount of “work”. This is why over the years we have seen all electronics get smaller – smaller – smaller and NOT bigger. Yet, the modern equipment using smaller electronics performs better, faster, etc. The Enagic does use more power [230 watts] than the Athena ionizer’s power [which is variable – up to 150 watts], however the increase in watts and plate size only allows the Enagic to get a faster flow-rate and will not allow the Enagic to get better ionization at the drinking levels.
- There are a lot of claims about how much better the Enagic’s plates will ionize water, but in reality, they only have two advantages over the Jupiter Athena water ionizer: flow rate and extremes [i.e., they will get a slightly higher/lower pH-range than the Athena]. That’s it. All of the other advantages belong to the Athena [filtration, warranty, better ORP at the drinking levels of pH, and more built-in control and protection]
- The Jupiter water cells are designed much better than the Enagic.
- The Jupiter Athena plates are an innovative, ingenious design. They use the most expensive, purest forms of titanium and platinum. The plates, electronics and all parts in the Jupiter water ionizers are designed to last at least your lifetime [Jupiter water ionizers come with a lifetime parts warranty to back up this claim while Enagic parts are warranted for only 5 years.] You will never see criticism of the Jupiter water ionizers number of plates, plate size, plate construction, fine workmanship, fine materials used in all parts, etc., unless you are seeing it written by a competitor of the Jupiter company. Even the Enagic company doesn’t ever “bad-mouth” the Jupiter company – I’ve only seen this from individual dealers. The Enagic uses high quality platinum and titanium and though the individual dealers will predictably boast that the Enagic uses the best, there is no fact behind that claim. It is just empty rhetoric. The fact of the Enagic 5-year warranty for parts as opposed to the Jupiter “lifetime-parts” is, however, verifiable.
- Jupiter mesh-plates [the Athena plates] are separated from each other by a proprietary high-quality, durable padding [which will probably out-live anyone reading this article]. This accounts for the great durability of the Athena water ionizer and also the more efficient ionization. This padding helps to channel the water with more control to ensure the water ionizes as it passes through the water cell.
Athena ionizer will probably never need a “vinegar wash”, because of its continuous cleaning feature, the Jupiter water ionizer company has no problem with customers use of vinegar to clean their water ionizers due to the durable parts.
- The Jupiter Athena water cell is constructed using a patented technology that continuously cleans the plates within it. Whereas, the Enagic water cell is subject to calcification and potential corrosion of the platinum off of the plates. The Enagic company will void their warranty if the customer doesn’t clean the plates twice a year with their citric acid e-cleaner. Whereas the Athena water ionizer’s plates will never get even the slightest build-up of calcium on the plates, because of their innovative, patented continuous-cleaning system.
- The Enagic’s water cells are in danger of three things: corrosion, scaling, and burning out [melting].
- Burning out, because they have no fuse or other protective mechanism built in that will protect the Enagic ionizer in the event of lightning or other reason for overheating.
- Scaling, because the way their cycles run is 15 minutes of alkaline pouring then 30 seconds of acid washing. This system enables scale to build-up on the plates.
- They are in danger of corroding, because the saline solution used for the strong acid water is very caustic, and if anything will errode platinum, it’s salt! Of course Enagic protects itself with warnings about these two dangers, however it is not common knowledge shared before the sale. In this picture of a damaged Enagic plate you can see examples of both scaling and corrosion. The plates will become corroded by misuse of the saline injection feature. Misuse would be simply not flushing out the saline well enough after each use of the “Strong Acidic” setting or using the saline feature too often would do it too.
- The Enagic water cells are bigger but definitely not better.
Another big difference between the Jupiter Athena and Enagic water ionizers is filtration, but that’s for another day.
In this video I’m comparing two of the US market’s lower-priced water ionizers: The AirWaterLife Aqua Ionizer Deluxe [which is a Real Spirit ionizer] and the Nexus X-Blue water ionizer.AirWaterLife vs Nexus: Which Low-Priced Water Ionizer is Best? You could consider both the Nexus X-Blue and the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe bargain water ionizers, but which is the REAL [...]
After drinking alkaline ionized water for about 20 years I actually feel healthier today than I did when I was in my 40’s! Ionized water and longevity with good health are related in my opinion.Yesterday was my 61st birthday and out of the 25 people I saw throughout the day 10 or so of them went [...]
Cathleen was a teacher/principal for 24 years and has been drinking ionized water for about 25 years. She created Alkaline Water Plus to educate people about the benefits of ionized water.
"The very best thing I have ever purchased is a WATER IONIZER!" Cathleen LoGrasso, Owner/CEO Alkaline Water Plus
Subscribe by EmailUse form, below, to subscribe to our newsletter or click this link to sign up for more benefits.
Featured Posts or Pages
Search results are always reported with two tabs: "Products" first and "News & Information" second.Look for these tabs.