- Water Ionizer Use & Care
Water Ionizer Use & Care
Basics of Water Ionizer Use:
This page contains Instructions for your basic water ionizer use, care and tips for using both alkaline and acidic waters, for proper indoctrination into the many uses for ionized water.
After reading this page if you are looking for more information I invite you to visit these other pages related to how to use a water ionizer. Note: All pH and ORP levels are approximate, depending on local water supply, because water ionizers don't always work the same in every location.
Water Ionizer Set-Up Tips:
Most water ionizers are fairly easy to set up. But we have posted some tips in this section to help your installation go super-smooth.
Most water ionizers use "quick connect fittings", and even come with a plug in the water-inlet port's quick-connect fitting. This plug needs to be removed as one of the first steps in set-up. It's a little tricky, so here's some explanation about that.
Here's a little video to demonstrate removing a Hose or Plug from a Quick-Connect Fitting
Here are the steps described in the video.
- Pull back on the little movable ring [by the hole of the quick-connect fitting]
- With your other hand [or another person] pull out the hose [or in this case, the plug].
Inserting a Hose into a Quick-Connect Fitting
- Make sure the hose has a nice, 90-degree, straight cut
- Insert the hose into the quick-connect as far as you think it can go [push]
- Then pull on the hose to make sure it won’t pull right out
- Finally push once more until you are sure it is well seated into the fitting. Leaking from the quick-connect fitting is very rare and is usually because the tubing wasn't seated well enough.
External Flow-Control and Shut-Off
Having an external shut-off to your machine is very handy, and it's easy with the John Guest Shut Off. Most shut-offs also act as a flow-control knob. Here are some reasons why you may want this piece.
- If you want to remove the water ionizer and take it with you on vacation, but you don't want to mess with the diverter or hard-plumbed installation pieces.
- If you want a back-up system for your water ionizer's flow-valve or just to give it a break (make it last longer),
- If your water ionizer doesn't have a flow valve on it, but you want one.
Using Ionized Water
Your new ionizer produces three kinds of water:
- Of course the main use of your water ionizer is to produce alkaline water (many levels of alkalinity, from about 7.5 to about 11 pH. Alkaline water is harder than any other water to store in such a way as to keep the pH and ORP (antioxidant) qualities. Therefore I've devoted an entire page to show you exactly how to store alkaline ionized water.
- Another water ionizer use is for filtered water (not ionized, usually neutral pH (it will have the same pH as your source water). For babies and toddlers it's best to use filtered water which is neither alkaline nor acidic. pH range 7-8. Also, when you are taking medication filtered water is best.
- The production of acid water is another popular water ionizer use. If you set your ionizer on and Acidic-Level, alkaline ionized water [which is drinkable by the way] will come out the bottom hose, Otherwise, acid water comes out of the bottom hose or spout when you are pouring alkaline ionized water. Acidic water stores very well. You can keep it in an open container, tub, etc. and it will remain the same acidity as when you poured it.
Rules of Thumb for Drinking & Using Alkaline Ionized Water:
- Drinking: At 8.5 pH to 9.5 or 10 pH alkaline ionized water is the perfect drinking water. It will help to neutralize the acidity of the body and slightly alkalize the body. Alkalizing the body will help to ward off infections, cancer and other invaders to the naturally healthy state of the body. Alkaline ionized water also assists in the safe removal of toxins from the body. In addition to the health-benefits of alkalizing your body, the negative ORP [oxidation reduction potential] of alkaline ionized water will provide the body with lots of easily absorbed antioxidants. Anti-oxidants are important in order to prevent free-radical damage that would otherwise be caused by oxidation within the body. Directions: Start drinking at about an 8.5 pH and slowly work your way up to 9.5 pH. For best results, don't rush it.
- Vitamins: Feel free to drink whatever level of ionized water you are drinking with taking your vitamins. Micro-clustered, ionized alkaline water will assist in the best and fastest absorption of vitamins into your body.
- Illness: If you're new to ionized water and get ill, reduce your level of pH until you are feeling back to normal. Drink extra water at the reduced level, though, to help flush whatever it is from your system. If you become ill when you are a veteran [of at least several months] at drinking ionized water, and you haven't recently changed anything regarding the pH level of your ionized water, then I suggest simply drinking more ionized water at the level which you have become comfortable drinking. This will help flush whatever it is out of your system faster.
- Cleaning Things: A very popular water ionizer use is to clean oils or grease with it. This would be the high alkaline, such as 10.5 - 11.5 pH, and at these high levels the ionized water will emulsify oils. Many people will use this high alkaline water to soak their non-organic vegetables in, because soaking in it will help to naturally remove the oily pesticides from the outer layer of the vegetable. It also has another great use of high alkaline water is as a stain-remover. I have personally had success with completely removing chocolate, blood, blue-berry stain, peanut butter, pet-stains and other stains from clothing, carpets, tile-grout, and furniture over the years. Here are some other ideas for using the highest alkaline for cleaning [we'll cover the lowest acid-water later]:
- You can pour a bowl of the high alkaline and a second one of acidic water... for cleaning fine washables [like stockings, silk skarf, etc.]. When you do this I suggest to let it soak for several minutes in the high alkaline, then agitate and wring-out the garments. Follow this up with a soak in the low acid water, which will act as a germicidal, softener [removing any residual alkaline minerals], and freshen it up.
- You can pour 2 - 4 gallons of high alkaline in with your laundry and not need to use detergent.
- You can use high alkaline for cleaning greasy areas, like floors, stoves and countertops.
When to Just Use Filtered Water
- Medications: A neutral 7.0 - 8.0 pH filtered water is perfect for taking medications. For 20-30 min. before and after taking medications it is suggested to only drink filtered water. The chemical make-up of medications and the predicted rate of absorption into the body can be altered by consuming microclustered, ionized water with them. Rather than take a chance of messing up your doctor's plans, it's better to just take the safe route described here.
- Infants & Todlers: Water ionizer use with infants and todlers is not recommended, other than using the filtered water setting. A neutral pH is perfect for babies. Give babies and todlers "filtered" water, not ionized, until they are about 2 years old. After that, you can slowly introduce them to ionized water [i.e., over the next 2 - 3 years use level 1, then do the same for level 2, etc.]. At about 9 or 10, a child can drink the same level as an adult.
The Uses for Acidic Water [Acid Water] [Beauty Water]
- Skin and Hair: Acidic water at the 3 - 4 pH-level is perfect for neutralizing the skin and hair [which should be about 5.5 pH, but because of alkaline soaps and shampoos you use, the skin and hair are usually found to be way off-balanced]. Acid water is used as a... [See more on this page: https://www.alkalinewaterplus.com/beauty-tips ]
- Skin Toner and Conditioner: Your acid mantle [outermost layer] of your skin is your body's first line of defense against bacterial, fungal or viral infections. It is important to maintain this acid mantle at about a 5.5 pH. However, because of the nature of soaps [soaps are typically a high alkaline pH in order to emulsify and flush away oils] the acid mantle is often left at too high of a pH after bathing or showering. The consequences of this is a breakdown of the acid mantle, drying out of the skin, and roughness caused by a build-up of alkaline minerals left on the skin. Rinsing with acid water helps to remove the residual alkaline minerals and restore your skin to its perfect 5.5 ph-level.
- Hair Rinse: Shampoo is most often found at a high alkaline pH. A high pH solution applied to your hair will open up the hair cuticles [the cuticle is the outermost hair-layer surrounding each hair shaft], and expose it to becoming dry and damaged. It is most beneficial to the health and beauty of your hair to close the hair cuticle . The cuticle opens with a high pH and closes with a low pH. When you rinse with water at a pH of about 3.0 to 4.0, this low pH water combines with the high pH of your newly washed hair and restores it to its ideal pH of about 5.5. Beauty Secret: Hair that has tightly closed cuticles has a smoothe, shiny, silky look to it and doesn't split at the ends.
- Natural, Healthy Coolant: Acidic water can be placed in a spray bottle and brought with you to sports or other outdoor events in hot weather. When you set your bottle to mist, this has an air-conditioning effect of cooling off your body. It's healthier for you to use acid water at about a 5.5 pH in your mister, rather than regular tap water, because the goal of misting is to cool yourself, not change the pH of your skin. The proper pH of skin is about 5.5 pH.
- Natural Laundry Softener: Add acid water to your final rinse cycle of any load of laundry. This removes residual alkaline minerals from the clothing, brightens up the colors, and softens the laundry naturally, without the use of chemicals.
- Plants: Acid water at the pH levels of 5 - 7 pH is great for watering plants. Plants love the purified micro clustered water, and they also love the water to be slightly acidic. Flowering plants tend to like lower acidity than green shade-plants.
- Germicidal Water: To kill germs it is best to use acid water at the pH level of 2.5 - 4. The lower the pH the faster the germs are killed, but even at a 4 pH, if you soak something for about a minute it will kill the germs on it. Laboratory testing has proven that exposure to acidic water at a 2.5 pH and lower kills germs on contact.
Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Ionized Water
- Taste: Many people feel that alkaline ionized water tastes better than tap or bottled water.
- Filtration: Water ionizers filter chemicals and toxins from water.
- Faster Absorption: Water ionization splits large water clusters in half, making them smaller and more easily absorbable by your body. So, the water you drink will hydrate your cells far better than any other water can do.
- Detoxifying: Drinking ionized water helps you alkalize your body. It boosts the pH of your drinking water to reverse the effects of the acidic condition of your body [With most people, many toxic acidic wastes sit in the cells for long periods or forever waiting to be eliminated. Ionized water helps to detoxify your body at a cellular level (alkaline pH buffers are essential in getting the acidic toxins out of your cells).
- Reverse Aging: Because it helps your cells get rid of their toxins, combats free-radical damage and prevents diseases, your cells are allowed to function properly again way up into your senior years. It doesn't stop aging altogether, but it certainly slows it down and helps to make the aging process a healthier, more vibrant experience.
- Preventing and Reversing Disease: Research shows that diseases thrive in an acid environment. The modern fast-food diets we eat, sodas we drink, and stressful lifestyles we live only make that acid environment inside our bodies worse over time. To combat this,drinking alkaline water helps to buffer this acidity and neutralize our bodies, allowing our cells to be cleansed.
- Natural Fast-Absorbing Antioxidant Water: Transforms water’s ORP (oxygen reduction potential), and so it becomes an antioxidant.
- Slimming Effect: Helps the fat-cell build-up of waste storage to finally be released. Ionized water, by itself, will not make you skinny, but if that's what you're trying to do it will assist you.
- Cardio-Vascular Health: Ionized water, with its readily available antioxidants, helps the arteries and veins stay healthy and retain their ability to slough off cholesterol.
- Bowels: Helps the bowels to become cleansed and hydrated. Many diseases stem from dysfunctional bowels and intestines. Therefore the cleansing effect of the ionized water on the bowels is a tremendous benefit to your overall health.
Introductory Instructions for Drinking Ionized Water:
- Start out at the lowest setting for alkalinity. Drink this for at least 3 days. Your body may go into what’s called a detoxification-phase (detox), because it has a lot of acidic wastes (toxic) which are now able to release from your cells. If you take it kind of slow at first, you’ll feel less discomfort due to this detoxification process. Some symptoms of detoxification are: headaches, increased thirst, pimples, cold or allergy symptoms, aching in the lower back (kidney) area and more. Some people never feel these detox symptoms.
- If you don’t feel any negative effects after 3 days, then move up to the next higher level of alkalinity. With children make every change in pH over a period of months or years [depending on age], and watch them for any reactions whatsoever.
- If you had symptoms, but they’re now subsided, and it's been a while, move up to the next level.
- There’s no need to rush. Once you reach about the 3rd level, stop moving up. That’s the ordinary "drinking-level" for alkaline ionized water. However, if you want to try a higher level, that’ fine. If you like the taste, and you don’t feel any negative effects from it after about 3 days, then it’s probably the right level for you.
Flow-Rate is Important:
It is important to pay attention to flow-rate when you're pouring your ionized water. Too slow of a flow-rate can cause the machine to overheat or power-off while you're pouring. Too fast of a flow-rate can reduce your pH & ORP and therefore lessen the benefits; put excessive pressure into and through the machine; and reduce the levels of contaminants that the filters are able to remove. Filters always work best with about a 1.5 to 2 liters per minute flow-rate. See if your machine has a screen which shows you the optimal flow-rate and pay attention to it, or otherwise figure it out (i.e., it should take 15 seconds to fill an 8 oz. cup optimally.)
- You should watch your body for symptoms [aches/pains, allergies/colds, bowel/urinary irregularities, rash, itching, etc.] and immediately reduce your level of ionization for at least a few days [or indefinitely] until you can move up to that level without those symptoms. Your body is most likely detoxing too quickly and those toxins will re-infect you if you release them too quickly.
- Children should not drink as high of a level as adults. Their bodies are alkaline already. Give them their water at the lower levels until they are 8-10 or so years old unless they're already exhibiting allergy symptoms [in which case their bodies are not as alkaline as they should be.] However there can be other reasons for allergy symptoms, so if you ever boost your young child's alkaline level over 8.5 pH you should watch their physical reactions and be ready to adjust their pH levels accordingly.
Warning: We Do Not Recommend Commerical Use of Water Ionizers
Most water ionizers are made with residential use in mind. Pouring more than a gallon of water at a time could over-work a machine. Certainly more than 10 gallons per day would be considered excessive use. If you have more than one gallon at a time that you want to pour, we suggest you wait 10 or 20 minutes between pouring, so as to give the machine a chance to cool off. If you have a public establishment with several gallons being poured at a time regularly, we recommend you purchase either several machines or a commercial water ionizer.
Warning: We Do Not Recommend Excessive Use of the Strongest Power-Level of Any Water Ionizer
Most water ionizers have several power-levels. For instance, Levels 1, 2, 3 and 4. Sometimes they are called by other names, such as 9 and 9.5, but this would be just another way of simply naming a power-level for the machine. However it's named, we do not recommend using the very strongest power-level too much. I usually stick with the second-strongest level for my drinking water and then reserve the strongest level for the rare times I want strongest ionization (usually just a few times a year to fill up my strong acidic water bottles.) Over-use of the strongest level of a water ionizer can prematurely wear out the machine, so we do not recommend it.
How Much Water Should You Drink Per Day?
You should drink at least 1 ounce of ionized water times half your body weight. That would mean, if you weighed 150 lbs, you’d drink 70 ounces per day (8 or 9 cups) of ionized water or more. However, it is even better if you can drink up closer to one gallon of ionized water per day for optimum results.
Questions and Answers
Question: How do you Fine-Tune a Water Ionizer for the pH levels you want?
Answer: There are many levels of alkaline spanning from about 7.5 to about 11.5. You can increase alkalinity some by slowing down the water flow at any level or increasing the level selected.Then when you move up to the next level you can use a faster flow at first then slowing it down for increased alkalinity. Every source water is different, so it's incorrect for me to tell you what pH you'll get at any level without testing it. There is a pH test kit that comes with every ionizer. You can use this to test the ionized water at various levels until you have the idea of what to expect at the different levels at various water flow-rates. After that I suggest monthly testing to make sure your ionizer is performing properly.
Question: Should I start with a portable one to see if it helps me?
Answer: I recommend buying a regular water ionizer, because the ORP will be much better than a portable one, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all to purchase a portable one such as the AlkalinePlus PH Pitcher, which is the best portable water ionizers I've ever tested. A portable ionizer won't offer the benefits as a regular water ionizer, but the AlkalinePlus Pitcher comes closest.
Question: How much alkaline water should one drink?
Answer: Drink as much as you can. I drink three quarts to a gallon every day. Sometimes I even drink more. Thirst is not always the best test of whether or not you need water. The older a person gets the less they are able to properly judge their own hydration needs. They think they're not thirsty, so they don't drink. I've seen this in both my parents as they grew older. It's easy to get in a habit of dehydration and then forget to drink. A better test would be... if you had any congestion, sinus problems, headache, or constipation at all *** it's time to drink more water! If all you can drink at first is a quart a day, then do that. But try to work up to a bare minimum of 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight as a general rule of thumb. And then drink more if you can, little-by-little, every day till you feel perfect in every way.
Question: How much time does the body need to get used to the change to a higher pH water?
Answer: Every body is different, so I always advise people to learn to observe how your body is doing. If it's doing well, then I advise to move up a level. Some people do this fast [every couple of days] and some slow. I was fast, myself, at first, but when I hit level 3 I had some urinary symptoms ...so moved back a level. It actually took me 2 years to go up to level 3. I've heard of people moving up to level 4, but their source water was more neutral than mine and their ionized water at level 4 was about the pH mine is for level 3. So, your source water does have something to do with it...also, your diet has a role in it too.
Question: How do you watch your body for symptoms as you're raising your pH level?
Answer: What I mean by symptoms are anything not right. This could be pains, aches, rashes, congestion, constipation, diarrhea, colds. When you increase the alkaline of your body you allow toxins to release from your cells and enter the bloodstream. Toxins are best released slowly. Also the various organs in your body need different pH levels. For instance, your skin needs acidic [around 5.5 - 6.5] and your kidneys/urinary tract needs a slightly acidic pH as well. Your body's alkalinity will only raise so much before your acid-loving organs protest the changes. It is a gradual process to alkalize your body, so I suggest... don't rush it.
Question: What happens when you boil the ionized water?
Answer: When you boil ionized water, it loses its alkalinity and can actually turn acidic. It also loses its ORP. Even heating the water to under boiling point does some of this. That having been said, the hospitals in both Korea and Japan use alkaline ionized water in cooking with women who are pregnant, people with diabetis and other ailments. They have noticed a difference using this water for cooking, even though it loses a large amount of its properties.
Question: What happens if you freeze ionized water?
Answer: If you freeze ionized water you can't measure the pH and ORP until its thawed. At the point it's thawed enough to test the pH and ORP it has lost a good deal of the pH and ORP [but not all]. What we do in our house is fill the ice-cube-trays with ionized water and then put the cubes in the ionized water if we want it cold.
Question: What happens if you add lemon, lime, Crystal Lite, Cool-Aid, etc. to ionized water?
Answer: Alkaline ionized water will turn neutral or even acidic if you add flavor aids to it, however lemon is supposed to have an "alkaline ash" [which means the byproduct of digestion]. Therefore I always suggest drinking ionized water plain, but of all the drink mixes listed above, the one I suggest for people is a light natural lemon-aid or green-tea [unheated], and if sweetened then use something natural, like Stevia. For some reason, adding alcohol to ionized water doesn't alter the pH or ORP of it.
Question: Which container is best for storing ionized water?
Answer: The best answer for this is posted in How to Store Ionized Water. Insulated medical-grade stainless steel vaccume bottles store the pH/ORP better than anything else. It is also best to use small containers [about 24 oz. or less] rather than huge gallon-sized ones. It's best to use containers filled with ionized water and no air-gap. In this way you'll have the benefits of nearly the same pH and ORP as you had when your ionized water was first poured.
Question: Are white small particles in ionized water or a white film on the inside of the glass or bottle normal?
Answer: Yes, this is normal. Ionization will un-dissolve some of the dissolved calcium that's in your water. When it's un-dissolved it appears as sediment and will sink to the bottom of the glass or stick to the sides of the glass or bottle over time. It is harmless calcium carbonate, The amount of calcium in your water does not replace the need for calcium supplimentation, because the amount is really insignificant.