- Analyzing & Comparing Brands of Bottled Water
Analyzing & Comparing Brands of Bottled Water
Anyone buying bottled water should read this page in order to become educated on the topic. There are many, many issues with bottled water, all of which are covered on this page.
Unhealthy PH of Most Bottled Water
Acidity is a major concern associated with bottled water. Our bodies need BALANCE to be healthy, and pH balance is one of the things we should monitor as a daily routine. If you eat or drink an average American diet (which is highly acidic), then chances are you need more alkalinity from your water.
Bottled water is usually less alkaline than tap water and isn't healthier water in other ways too. Most experts agree that the healthiest water to drink is alkaline and is well filtered, and the best way to get this is to filter your water yourself. This also happens to be the least expensive, easiest, and most planet-friendly way to get healthy water.
The PH of Bottled Water Brands
You cannot rely on bottled water being a healthy pH. Unless the bottle says it's "alkaline", you can pretty much assume it's more acidic than your drinking water should be. Even if a bottling company gets their water from a pristine spring, they will often oxidize the water with ozone as a sanitation technique. This keeps fungi and algae from growing in the water as it stagnates on the store shelf.
I've done many tests on bottled water, and this video shows one of them with 20 brands of bottled water, tested for pH. For more data about these and other brands of bottled water, see the BOTTLED WATER DATA CHART further down on this page.
This video focuses on testing the pH of 20 brands of bottled water.
A lot of people buy bottled water because they think the bottling companies are removing fluoride, chlorine and other toxins from the water. In many cases those benefits don't even exist. Fluoride is in a lot of brands of bottled water.
Fluoride Testing of 21 Brands of Bottled Water vs Ionized Water
Why is fluoride bad? Fluoride is a potentially toxic mineral when consumed in anything more than just trace amounts. Fluoride is so tiny it can penetrate the blood/brain barrier and get into the brain and nervous system, where it does the most harm. Fluoride has dangers that are similar to lead. Because of this I take fluoride filtration very seriously. Fluoride can be removed from the water with a good fluoride filter. Many bottled water brands have Fluoride in them, so watch the video and/or read the charts on this page to learn more.
This video focuses on the Fluoride testing of many popular bottled water. brands
Do Bottling Companies Filter the Water Better than Your Municipal Water Company?
No. Municipal water companies actually do a pretty good job of filtering your tap water, and this could be due to the fact that their quality of filtration is highly regulated (much more so than water bottlers). The water lines going from the water company all the way to your tap are also regulated by municipal codes, all for the purpose of bringing you clean and healthy water. Filtering one's tap water is much more healthy and cost-effective than drinking bottled water (see next section).
BOTTLED WATER DATA CHART
The following brands of bottled water are shown here in this comparison chart with their pH-levels and water source/treatment notes in alphabetical order: Absopure, Amway Perfect Water, Aquafina, Aqua Hydrate, Arrowhead, Supter Chill, Chippewa, Core, Crystal Geyser, Culligan, Dasani, Deer Park, Evian, Essentia, Eternal, Evamore, Fiji, Function, Gerber Pure, Great Value, Hilton Head Tap, Ice Canyon, Ice Mountain, Ecelandic, Ionized Water, Lassens, Life Water, Los Angeles Tap, New York City Tap, Northern Chill, Penta, Perrier, PH Pitcher, Poland Spring, Propel, Gerber Pure, Nestle Pure Life, Real Water, Smartwater, Soda (canned), Spring Water by Walmart, St. Louis Tap, Vitaminwater, Volvic, Voss, Zephyrhills. The pH-levels of several locations where I've tested the tap water are included for comparison sake. I have also included random samples of Fluoride testing I've done.
CONCERNS ABOUT BOTTLED WATER
This sections contains other important topics about bottled water.
Warning! Plastic Nano-Particles
Tiny, microscopic plastic particles (called nano-particles) have been found in the all major brands of bottled water tested!
Water containing micro-pastics, nano-particles, exposes people to another potential health-risk associated with drinking bottled water. Micro-plastics are pieces of plastic so small they can only be seen through a microscope. The smaller these plastic particles are, the worse it is for us, because the tinier size means they can pass through the stomach & intestinal walls and into the rest of our bodies more readily. We probably can't get completely away from plastic, but the less plastic we use, the better. Plastic nano-particles can be removed by a .1M micron filter (best just before drinking).
The Frightful Truth About Bottled Water
First of all we're using up our oil reserves to make bottles that only get used once. Then after discarding the bottles, only 10% of them actually get recycled. That means 90% do not. This is such a frightful problem that we ship hundreds and thousands of square miles worth of plastic wastes around the world (to 3rd world countries) because our landfills cannot contain them all. Plastic won't degrade fast enough to allow us the "privilege" of continued ignorance and irresponsibility for our treatment of our planet. We need to wake up our sense of responsibility for our planet. I urge you to watch this 8-minute video. The devious techniques of the bottled water industry have to be exposed, so people far and wide can come to realize the harm that plastic wastes (especially with bottled water) are doing to our planet.
THE STORY OF BOTTLED WATER (8 min): 5.8 Million Views
A story of trickery, greed and conspiracy
Our Earth cannot sustain too much more, without drastic consequences.
This is a serious subject that shouldn't be ignored.
Unhealthiness of Clear, Pliable Plastics
The industrial chemicals that are in the material of the bottles haven’t been measured, other than BPA which is only one of the many potentially disease-causing agents in the bottles. Water, the universal solvent, has the ability to leach all kinds of chemicals into itself. The variables of time and temperature are not reported by bottling companies. The EWG, Environmental Working Group, recently found all kinds of contaminants, such as human wastes, bacteria and pharmaceuticals in several brands of bottled water. So, short of doing our own testing of each bottle, we have no assurance of purity and healthiness of any brand of bottled water. One issue with bottled water is the unhealthiness associated with the soft, clear plastic used for storing bottled water. This type of plastic is used because it's user-friendly and cheap, however it is highly susceptible to chemical leaching. BPA is not the only chemical of concern for leaching, but is certainly one of them.
Do Popular Brands of Bottled Water Taste Better?
Bottled Water Companies spend millions of dollars to make you believe that bottled water tastes better than tap, but when put to the test it isn't usually the case.
Taste tests of various bottled water brands have actually shown the most popular brands of bottled water to be inferior to tap water! Of course it would depend on where you live, but this is often the case. The common perception, caused by the brainwashing of advertising, is that the more you pay for bottled water the better it tastes. There have been many blind taste-tests of bottled water vs tap water to prove that in fact tap water tastes just as "good" when presented as an expensive brand of bottled water.
In a famous CBS expose people in a fancy restaurant were presented with an expensive "Water Menu" they immediately believed that the taste of the water was better. In each case the customers reacted to the PR and hype of the fancy label, price, menu and waiter's attitude rather than their own senses in deciding how well they liked each water they tasted.
ABC News -- Bottled Water: Popular but not Healthy
ABC News did a study on bottled water vs. tap and it exposed that people were paying over $600/yr for bottled water, thinking that it tasted fresher, cleaner, and was healthier for their family. When given a blind taste-test they 100% chose the tap water for fresher, cleaner, healthier taste. This was followed up with another shocking story by 20/20 reporters.
ABC's Bottled Water vs Tap
Is Any Bottled Water Healthy?
The only bottled water that I will drink is using my stainless-double-vacuum sealed bottles. I can use these even when I'm traveling.
One reason why so many brands of bottled water are acidic is that most methods of purifying water used by the bottling companies use extreme filtration and ozonation (pumping ozone into it) to treat the water before bottling it. Neither of these processes make the water healthier, and they are NOT better than what your local water company does. Extreme measures of filtration make the water acidic. The consensus among water quality regulating groups and health researchers is that bottled water is inferior to one's health than our average-quality US tap water. Here are explanations of filtration methods used by bottling companies along with 1) why the companies use these methods and 2) why they are unhealthy:
- Extreme Filtration: The majority of the bottled water companies use extreme filtration (like reverse osmosis). Regardless of the source, wells, springs, rivers, lakes, and municipal water supplies, when you use extreme filtration you create dead-water. Dead water is void of all healthy minerals. It's called dead water because of the death of tissues, cells and life caused by this type of water. Part of the water cycle and cycle of life is for rain-water (which is acidic) to soak into the ground, trickle through layers of calcium and other rock and in the process it becomes alkalized by the healthy alkaline minerals in the soil and bedrock. Defying nature, with one fell swoop, bottling companies "treat" the water by removing everything from it, including all of the healthy minerals. This is the cheapest way to go, since this type of filtration can use any water and doesn't use expensive special filters.
- Electrolytes: Extreme filtration also removes healthy electrolytes from the water. We need these electrolytes for our cells to function properly, and they are often hard to come by. It's far better to consume the electrolytes naturally dissolved in water than to add them in later on with man-made formulas.
- There are many trace minerals found in water that are removed with extreme filtration. Without enough minerals, as water passes through the body's tissues and joints it absorbs minerals from them like a vacuum or sponge. Your bones, joints and muscles need the dissolved minerals from the water, and they certainly do not need to lose their minerals to the water passing through. It's a process we all learned in high school, called diffusion. in order to fill the void created by stripping the water of its minerals it will act as a vacuum cleaner for minerals in your body. This probably won't do much if you consume just a little bottled water, but if you drink a lot of extremely purified water it will rob your body of significant amounts of its healthy, essential minerals that it needs
- Some water bottling companies tap into the source water of a particular area that has already good ground water (not needing extreme filtration), but even if they don't kill it with extreme filtration a popular measure, used by bottling companies, is to ozonate the water. This sanitizes it, and is actually necessary to keep the water (which will sit on a shelf for a very long time) from growing algae and other gross things. Ozonation puts acidity into the water. Basically the rule is: If one wants to kill life and keep it from growing -- MAKE THE WATER ACIDIC. But if you follow that logic further you can see that acidic water (which kills living things) is going to kill our cells too!
- In addition to acidifying the water, ozonation also adds harmful free-radicals to it. The process of ozonation is basically infusing the water with oxygen free radicals. Our bodies need balance and too many free-radicals can be unhealthy for the body.
- In a recent research study, most of the bottled water tested by the Dental Hygienists' Association had an even more acidic pH when tested in the lab than the value listed in the bottling companies' water quality reports. Dental health relies on a balanced pH diet. It is well known to hygienists that dental erosion and tooth decay is often caused by over consumption of acidic foods and beverages.
BETTER ALTERNATIVES TO BOTTLED WATER
A slow-flow through activated carbon filters will remove a fair amount of most contaminants, even Fluoride. Some filters are even tested and rated for 99.99% removal of these contaminants (see #1, below).
1. UltraWater Filtration: This video is less than 4 minutes and it tells you all about water contaminants and how to get rid of them easily. The water you drink is important. Water is the source of all life. It is at the very root of your health. In this video you'll also see the best filters to remove contaminants (UltraWater filters) and why. Take a few minutes to learn this. It's very important.
2. The Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher: The Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher is a convenient solution to the bottled water problem. It filters the water well (with a slow flow through a carbon filter), raises the alkalinity of the water, adds hydrogen antioxidants, and makes it taste great too. Whenever I go traveling I bring a nice, stainless, water bottle and the bin and filter from this pitcher with me so I can use the local tap water and filter it. This not only saves a lot of money, but it also is really the healthiest water to drink while in airports or on a cruise. I've written several articles about this. Here's one of them. The Alkaline Ionizer Pitcher on a Cruise!
Brands of Bottled Water vs. Alkaline Plus PH Ionizing Pitcher
This video shows the alkalinity of Smart Water, Voss Water, compared with the PH pitcher. The Alkaline Plus Ionizing Pitcher can filter and remineralize that water, improve the pH-level to a perfect 9.5 pH and also transform it (ionize it) so it has antioxidants also in the water!
Shows how the Alkaline Plus PH Ionizing Pitcher gives better water than any of the bottled water brands.
For Those Who Want the BEST:
Water Ionizers - The Newest and Best Way to Get the Healthiest Drinking Water
A water ionizer is a unique machine, originally developed in Japan to help their population with major health issues. I learned about water ionizers 24 years ago, and it changed my life and my children's lives. Alkaline ionized water is the healthiest of all water to drink, because it alkalizes it and also contains large quantities of therapeutic antioxidants. I'd really like to get up on rooftops and shout this out about this water to everyone. I was headed toward disaster, health-wise, before discovering alkaline ionized water. Here's a 10-minute video explaining years of study and research on alkaline ionized water.
For more information about me, here is my testimonial. I urge you to study this subject further by clicking this button. It changed my life.
The water ionizer I use is able to remove all of the Fluoride, chlorine, chloramine, lead, heavy metals, pesticides, pharmaceuticals and more from my regular, municipal tap water. I have also found that a water ionizer is the best machine to actually remove fluoride from the water when you buy one that has a fluoride filter in it (like mine).
Comparing The Cost of Water Filters vs Bottled Water
Water ionizers and other alkalizing/ionizing filters may seem very expensive at first glance, but this chart shows their cost is far less than buying bottled water (even the cheapest brands of bottled water) over time. Plus, personally I wouldn't mind if the cost were higher because alkaline ionized water has been shown to fight diseases. This link shows more information about ionized water helping to fight diseases.
Alkaline ionized water isn't more expensive though, and as a matter of fact you can see in this chart that in the long run bottled water is crazy-EXPENSIVE and ionized water is only pennies on the gallon. Look at the chart to see the true picture of what bottled water is doing to your budget.
Plus, in my own experience over the past 25 years, I have found that when you drink the healthiest water (ionized water or hydrogen water) the pH-balancing and natural antioxidants both fight and prevent diseases. Disease-prevention is priceless.
Getting the best water and right machine ...An alkaline water ionizer machine that delivers alkaline ionized water, filtered perfectly, and loaded with disease-fighting hydrogen antioxidants is really the best choice for health and budget. Some water ionizer machines (like the one I use, pictured below) will even remove up to 99.99% of fluoride from the water. I've used this machine for 10 years, and it's my personal favorite: