The Alkaline Plus PH Ionizer Pitcher by WellBlue - the Best Portable Water Ionizer Pitcher I have ever tested!
A lot of people ask me, "What's a good product to use to start drinking alkaline ionized water?" My answer is usually to buy the Alkaline Plus Pitcher. I've tested many other alkaline water pitchers before settling on the Alkaline Plus PH Ionizer Pitcher. The Alkaline Plus Pitcher consistently proves itself to me as a superior ionizing pitcher. I normally use an electric water ionizer, but I use this pitcher regularly, whenever I travel. Then, when I'm not traveling, I store it for later use. Compared to other pitchers, here's what you can expect from the Alkaline Plus PH Ionizing Pitcher:
- The Alkaline Pitcher lasts the longest, and produces the best pH and ORP (antioxidants).
- This awesome Alkaline PH Pitcher raises pH and lightly Ionizes the water better than any other pitcher I've tested.
- I've seen this PH Pitcher produce Negative ORP stronger than other pH pitchers, transforming regular water into antioxidant water.
- Removes chlorine, organic impurities, odor and many other chemicals, such as some fluoride.
- The Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher is BPA free! Made with safe, AS & ABS food-grade plastics.
- Reduces heavy metals: The WellBlue filter permanently absorbs metals, such as lead, copper and aluminum, so your drinking water will be cleaner.
- This portable pH pitcher improves the taste of water to give you great alkaline plus drinking water.
- Contains alkalinizing minerals which will help you alkalize your body.
- Portable water ionizers have four main ingredients: Active carbon, ion-exchange resin, ORP balls [magnetized ceramic balls], Magnesium balls.
- The PH alkaline filter will last about 150-200 liters [up to 70 gallons].
- Any Alkaline Pitcher will give you the best filtration at the rate of 1 quart at a time
Here's a blog post and video that shows some extensive testing of this Pitcher
How do portable water ionizer pitchers work?
Portable water ionizers use a technology developed over a 10-year period by Dr. Hayashi and others working in the water ionizer industry. The technology uses magnesium and magnetized ceramics in such a combination that excites the water to ionize spontaneously without electricity. There are several products that have sprung up using this technology, and I have tested just about all of them. Some don't work at all [or very poorly], but some of these portable water ionizers will lightly ionize and give you a slight raise in pH and about -100 ORP [which is a fair amount of antioxidants for a portable device, but not anything close to what an electric water ionizer can do]. The Alkaline Plus Water Filter Pitcher by WellBlue is the best portable water ionizer pitcher that I've ever tested. It will bring the water [even reverse osmosis water] up to 8.5-9.5 pH and the antioxidant levels to an exceptional -100 to -400 ORP (oxidation reduction potential), depending on how much water you ionize at one time.
Naturally ionizing filters need a break between filtrations. Also the time-release alkalizing minerals will eventually get used up. When you think you are coming close to filter-expiration (200 gallons) you should test the pH fairly regularly to make sure it's still ionizing. Note: You can request (in the comment box of your order) that a free 80-piece pH testing kit be included with any order from Alkaline Water Plus.
The Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher Will...
- Filter up to 1 1/2 quarts/liters] at a time
- Produce Negative ORP [as strong as -100 or -200 and I've seen it up to -300 ORP at times], transforming regular water into antioxidant water.
- Made with safe, AS & ABS food-grade plastics, and BPA-free.
- Soften the tap water: Ion exchange resin remove hardness [Ca+,Mg+].
- You can purchase the Alkaline Pitcher with or without the timer.
With or Without Timer?
Actually the timer is not necessary to the function of the pitcher. All this little "timer" does is count the days. It calculates the filter expiration, based on the number of users you select. See the below for instructions on setting the timer up. If you place the timer piece in the refrigerator it may malfunction because of possible condensation. [We do not guarantee these timer pieces.] The pitcher will last many more years than the timer will, so for that reason alone we recommend that you purchase the pitcher without timer.
If you do want the timer though, please choose that option. When you choose that option we will send you the timer flip-top-piece and it will be up to you to replace the plain flip-top piece (that comes on the pitcher lid) with the timer flip-top-piece. See video for instructions.
This video shows:
- Timer Piece Installation: The video shows how to replace or exchange the top flip-piece on the lid. You need to know this if you order a pitcher with timer. The timer piece comes in the box, and needs to be exchanged with the plain flip-piece to use it.
- Lock-Tight Lid Instructions: The lid has a lock-tight mechanism built in. To install the lid properly you need to:
- put the front of the lid on first
- then push lightly in on the back while seating it down into the upper bin
- Please see the tail end of the following video for a 10-second demonstration of installing the lid on properly. The lid will not fall off when you seat it properly.
Setting or Re-Setting the Timer
Push and hold the set button on the Alkaline Plus Pitcher until you see one or more faces in the screen. Then push and let go several times until you see the number of faces you want. One face per gallon of daily expected use should give you the right time to change the filter. At one gallon per day the filter should need changing in two months. You don't need to use the timer to know this. A calendar or mental note will do. The timer is electronic and shouldn't get wet. It is not a guaranteed feature, and is there for convenience and/or decoration only, as it has no relation to the proper functioning of the filter. Once you see the right number of faces, then push/hold once more until you see the face(s) stop flashing and you see a filter icon to the right of it. Now it's set. If you set it to one gallon per day then in about two months whenever you press/hold the start button and look at the icon -- it will have an "X" over the filter. After one week of showing an "X" over the filter it will go to a blank screen awaiting you to re-program it. It's not suggested to store the alkaline drinking water pitcher's lid in the refrigerator if the lid has a timer. What could happen is that condensation could possibly form inside the timer and short out the electronics.
Instructions for the Alkaline Plus Portable Water Ionizer Pitcher -- Basic set Up & Tips
First Step Flush the Filter
Here's how to lush a new filter: 1) Screw the filter into the bin and fill the bin with cold water. 2) Allow the water to filter out of the bin. 3) Repeat. 4) When the filtered water starts to run clear, it is ready.
Tips for any Alkaline Water Pitcher -- Getting the Best Results
- Alkaline water pitchers work best once they are moistened-up and if you don't over-use at any given time.
- What I do for best results is to pour about a liter through it every two hours [something like that].
- Don't start using it until the water is fully filtered. Otherwise you may be mixing both filtered and unfiltered water in your glass as you pour.
- Your source water may affect the results. For instance if your source is reverse osmosis, it will still ionize well, but then the minerals in the filter will deplete faster than if you use regular tap water.
- These pitchers work best when the filter is moist. The moist filter softens the outer layer of magnesium, so it can be released in the right proportions.
- Once the filter is moist, just use it frequently throught the day (rather than letting too many hours go by between uses.)
- For best results filter a quart or less at a time.
- It generally takes about another 30 min to soften up the next layer of magnesium.
- A trick I use at nighttime is to store the WellBlue filter in a zip-lock bag. This isn't particularly necessary, but I do it because I'm picky, and I always want the BEST.
- The filter should last 2-3 months of daily use (around 200 gallons).
- To see if the PH Pitcher is still alkalizing, you should test it periodically. PH reagent will give the most reliable results for testing. Test only after the filter has been moist for at least 30 minutes.
- If you're going to be not using the alkaline drinking water pitcher for days, weeks or months, then simply let it dry out and store it in a dry place.
- To dry the WellBlue filter out [for storage] set it, unsealed, in the refrigerator for a few days. Once dry, remove it from the refrigerator and store it in a dry place.
- When you're ready to re-use a previously dried out filter, just pour a little water into the pitcher. Then wait about 30 min. and it will be ready to go again.
- If you want to supply ionized water to several people we suggest you use two filters alternately, or buy a couple of WellBlue pitchers.
- If the filter ever seems to be clogged, follow these simple instructions. Occasionally a filter is just over-packed. Removing the clog is a fairly simple fix.
- Shake it and then try again. Or, if that doesn't work...
- Immerse it in cold water and soak it for 10 minutes, then shake and try again.
- Or, if that doesn't resolve it, add a tbsp of vinegar to the water and soak for 20 minutes
- If it still seems clogged, soak it over night and try again.
- The pitcher becomes top-heavy by nature of having an upper filter-bin. For this reason the lid is designed to seat into the bin fairly firmly. If you have difficulty seating the lid, watch the Lid Instructions video, above. Also, you may have to hold a hand on the lid while pouring (depends on user).
Summary of Facts About the Best Use of the Alkaline Plus PH Ionizer Pitcher
- It's better to use the pitcher frequently, throughout the day, rather than just once or twice a day.
- If you know you're not going to use it for days, then let it dry out [to save the filter-life].
What causes the variables in the alkaline pH pitcher's ability to ionize?
The filter ionizes by way of adding magnesium in the presence of magnetized ceramics. The magnesium balls are time-release and only the outer coating softens up to allow magnesium to be released a little at a time. If the filter is used moderately [1 liter per hour or two] then it performs the best. If it's used a lot, then the ionization drops off, because there isn't enough free [softened] magnesium. If it dries out, then the first pouring will be less ionization. However in an hour or two it will be back to peak performance and deliver great alkaline plus drinking water.
Cleaning the Pitcher
Calcium (hardness) which is naturally in your water is healthy for you and does not get filtered out of the water by the Alkaline Plus pitcher, but over time calcium does leave a film on pitchers. You can remove it this way: See video. You can use either straight vinegar or dilute the vinegar with water. Fill the pitcher up to whatever level you want, and let soak for 20 or so minutes. The layer of calcium (scale) will now easily rince away.
FDA and Laboratory Testing, Summary of what the Tests are Saying:
The first test reports show that using the Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher removes chlorine, and heavy metals. [Note: A slow-flow through activated carbon will also remove many other chemicals.] The filter also increases the pH of the water. The second and third tests certify that the plastic materials used in making the alkaline drinking water pitcher and reservoir [bin] are food-grade, FDA-approved to be non-leaching and safe.
Height: 11.5 inches
The materials are certified to be food grade: Certification:: CE/ROHS/FDA, and the manufacturer has ISO certification. The carbon used in the filter is NSF certified.
Here's the manual. Note: In the manual it tells you not to drink alkaline water with meals. It sounds like a hard rule, but it's not. If my meal is heavy with meat, then I may squeeze a lemon slice into my alkaline water, which will bring the pH down to neutral. But, neither I, nor most people I know, ever have issues with this type of thing, whatsoever. Even though meat likes a neutral pH to digest, alkaline ionized water isn't usually going to cause too much or any disruption. I personally suggest not to worry about it and only do something if you notice you have digestive issues on a regular basis (such as excessive burping) that you think may be caused by drinking alkaline water with the meal.