- Analyzing & Comparing Brands of Bottled Water
Analyzing & Comparing Brands of Bottled Water
Anyone buying bottled water should read this page in order to become educated in the topic. There are many, many issues with bottled water, all of which are covered on this page.
Unhealthy PH of Most Bottled Water
Acidity is a major concern associated with bottled water. Anyone eating or drinking an average American diet needs more alkalinity from their water, because they're already inundated with too many acids in their diets. Our bodies need balance to be healthy. Much of this page is devoted to exposing the acidity of many of the most popular brands of bottled water.
Why are Most of the Bottled Water Brands So Acidic?
One reason why so many brands of bottled water are acidic is that most methods of purifying water used by the bottling companies use extreme filtration and ozonation to treat the water before bottling it. Neither of these processes make the water healthier, and they are NOT better than what your local water company does. Extreme measures of filtration make the water acidic. Take a minute to follow this link if you're not sure why drinking alkaline water is far more healthy for people.The consensus among water quality regulating groups and health researchers is that bottled water is inferior to one's health than our average-quality US tap water. Here are explanations of methods used by bottling companies along with 1) why the companies use these methods and 2) why they are unhealthy:
- Extreme Filtration: The majority of the bottled water companies use extreme filtration [ion-exchange, demineralization, reverse osmosis, distillation, deionization or any combination of these]. Regardless of the source, wells, springs, rivers, lakes, and municipal water supplies, when you use extreme filtration you create dead-water. Dead water is void of all healthy minerals, similar to acid rain. It's called dead water because of the death of tissues, cells and life caused by this type of water. Part of the water cycle and cycle of life is for rain-water (which is acidic) to soak into the ground, trickle through layers of calcium and other rock and in the process it becomes alkalized by the healthy alkaline minerals in the soil and bedrock. Defying nature, and with one foul swoop, bottling companies "treat" the water by removing everything from it, including all of the healthy minerals. This is the cheapest way to go, because with this type of filtration they can use any water; they don't have to use expensive specialty filters; and they can locate themselves anywhere.
- Some water bottling companies tap into the source water of a particular area that has already good ground water (not needing extreme filtration), but even if they don't kill it with extreme filtration the popular measures used by bottling companies is to ozonate the water to sanitize it. This is necessary because the water will sit on a shelf for a very long time and will grow algae and other gross things if it isn't sanitized. Ozonation puts acidity into the water though. Basically the rule is: to KILL LIFE & KEEP IT FROM GROWING -- MAKE THE WATER ACIDIC. But if you follow that logic further you can see that acidic water (which kills living things) is going to kill our cells too!
- In all cases bottling the water negates the benefits of the good ground water. As explained in #2, above, you just can't do it any other way.
- In addition to acidifying the water, ozonation also adds harmful free-radicals to it. The process of ozonation is basically infusing the water with oxygen free radicals. Our bodies need balance and too many free-radicals can be unhealthy for the body.
- Electrolytes: Extreme filtration also removes healthy electrolytes from the water. We need these electrolytes for our cells to function properly, and they are often hard to come by. It's far better to consume the electrolytes naturally dissolved in water than to add some in later on with some man-made formula.
- There are many trace minerals found in water that are removed with extreme filtration. Without enough minerals as water passes through the body's tissues and joints it absorbs minerals from them like a vacuum or sponge. Your bones, joints and muscles need the dissolved minerals from the water, and they certainly do not need to lose their minerals to the water passing through. It's a process we all learned in high school, called diffusion. in order to fill the void created by stripping the water of its minerals it will act as a vacuum cleaner for minerals in your body. This probably won't do much if you consume just a little bottled water, but if you drink a lot of extremely purified water it will rob your body of significant amounts of its healthy, essential minerals that it needs.
- Bottled water is likely to be more acidic by the time it reaches you than the bottling company reports it was at the factory. In a recent research study, most of the bottled water tested by the Dental Hygienists' Association had an even more acidic pH when tested in the lab than the value listed in the bottling companies' water quality reports. Dental health relies on a balanced pH diet. It is well known to hygienists that dental erosion and tooth decay is often caused by over consumption of acidic foods and beverages.
- Further on down this page you can find many charts and videos showing the pH of dozens of brands of bottled water. As you can see the majority are acidic. If you insist on getting bottled water or have to for the lack of a healthy water source, I highly recommend that you alkalize it minimally with the PH Pitcher.
Is Any Bottled Water Healthy?
Actually yes, there is. There is one type of bottled water that is truly good for you, and that is when the store owner, health club, or whoever, offers a certified Commercial Water Machine; you dispense the water yourself (that day so it's fresh); and you use the kind of bottle that is high-quality plastic or glass and re-usable. When you re-use bottles it is far healthier for our planet as well. If the commercial water machine you use also ionizes the water it's even a hundred times better, because you can then get the benefits of ionized water as well.
Unhealthiness of Plastics
One issue with bottled water is the unhealthiness associated with the soft, clear plastic used for storing bottled water. This type of plastic is used because it's user-friendly and cheap, however it is highly susceptible to chemical leaching. BPA is not the only chemical of concern for leaching, but is certainly one of them.
A lot of people buy bottled water because they think the bottling companies are removing Fluoride, Chlorine and other toxins from the water. In many cases those benefits don't even exist. See my Fluoride Testing of Bottled Water section, lower down on this page. What many people don't realize is that many municipalities have been lowering their fluoridation of water to much smaller ranges in response to some of the recent fluoride research studies. I don't like fluoride, but I'm 1) glad we have a lot fewer worries about fluoride today than we used to, and 2) I have found the best solution for removing fluoride from the water is by using a water ionizer . Use the links at the top of the page to explore this website for the most comprehensive information about water ionizers that you will find anywhere. They not only remove fluoride, but water ionizers also have many other huge benefits. Here is a chart showing an expense breakdown for up to 10 years. You can see how drastically all of the brands of bottled water, including the cheapest brand, are more expensive than the two types of water ionizers (water ionizer machine and alkaline ionizing pitcher) shown.
Do Bottling Companies Filter the Water Better than Your Municipal Water Company?
Municipal water companies actually do a pretty good job of filtering the water, and their quality of filtration is highly regulated (much more so than water bottlers). They do add chemicals, such as chlorine, to treat your water, but these can be filtered out easily and quickly just before you drink it. The water lines going from the water company all the way to your tap are also regulated, by municipal codes, all for the purpose of bringing you clean and healthy water.
All that being said, I do recommend that you filter your water to remove chlorine, chloramine, fluoride, etc. There are usually no chemicals or toxic elements in your water that can't be removed with proper water filtration. The best way to handle water treatment chemicals is for you to keep the water disinfected, then freshly filter it when it's time to drink it.
Trashing up our Planet
Another huge problem in our world today has to do with hundreds and thousands of square miles worth of plastic waste that is filling our land-fills and oceans. Plastic won't degrade fast enough to allow us the "privilege" of continued ignorance and irresponsibility for our treatment of our planet. We need to wake up our sense of responsibility for our planet. Further on down this page you can find a section called the Recycling Myth. I urge you to read the section and watch the video to further educate yourself in the topic of recycling of plastics. Only a small percentage of recycled plastics actually make it to the recycling factories; the rest are virtually trashing up our planet. The "green" thing to do is to filter your own water.
Do Popular Brands of Bottled Water Taste Better?
Bottled Water Companies spend millions of dollars to make you believe that bottled water tastes better than tap, but when put to the test it isn't usually the case.
Taste tests of various bottled water brands have actually shown the most popular brands of bottled water to be inferior to tap water! Of course it would depend on where you live, but this is often the case. The common perception, caused by the brainwashing of advertising, is that the more you pay for bottled water the better it tastes. There have been many blind taste-tests of bottled water vs tap water to prove that in fact tap water tastes just as "good" when presented as an expensive brand of bottled water.
In a famous CBS expose people in a fancy restaurant were presented with an expensive "Water Menu" they immediately believed that the taste of the water was better. In each case the customers reacted to the PR and hype of the fancy label, price, menu and waiter's attitude rather than their own senses in deciding how well they liked each water they tasted.
ABC News did a similar study on bottled water vs. tap and it exposed that people were paying over $600/yr for bottled water, thinking that it tasted fresher, cleaner, and was healthier for their family. When given a blind taste-test they 100% chose the tap water for fresher, cleaner, healthier taste.
ABC News -- Bottled Water: Popular but not Healthy
This is a video which is a great piece done by ABC's 20/20 reporters on the subject of bottled water vs tap.
What is the Healthiest Water to Drink?
I have tested alkaline antioxidant water against various brands of water: bottled water brands, soda, distilled, reverse osmosis and tap waters. Over the past 20 years of using alkaline ionized water for myself and family, I have found that the healthiest water to drink is alkaline antioxidant water, and I encourage you to move away from drinking bottled and give alkaline ionized water a try. It changed my life.
Testing of 20 Different Bottled Water Brands
All of my testing of brands of bottled water shows them to be inferior to filtered tap water. This video shows you one of the many demonstrations/tests I've done on various brands of bottled water. In particular this video focuses on the pH of the water being tested.
PH of Bottled Water Brands
The following brands of bottled water are shown here in this comparison chart with their pH-levels and water source/treatment notes in order from worst to best: Vitaminwater 3.4, Propel Zero 3.5, Propel Fitness Water3.36, Penta 4.0, Dasani 4.5, Function 5.0, Perrier 5.5, Poland Spring 5.8, Voss 6.0, Ice Mountain 6.0, Crystal Geyser 6.0, Deer Park 6.3, Smart Water 6.5, Great Value Walmart 6.5, Gerber Pure Water 6.5, Arrowhead 6.83, Evian 7.0, Eternal 7.0, Volvic 7.0, Zephyrhills 7.5, Absopure 7.5, Fiji 7.5, Super Chill 7.5, Evamor 8.0, Real Water 8.0, Essentia 9.0. The pH-levels of several locations where I've tested the tap water is also shown for comparison sake.
Alkaline Water Helps to Remove Toxins From the Body
To keep our blood the right pH, 7.365, we should drink water at a pH of about 9 to 10. Drinking alkaline water helps the body detoxify. Toxins are acids, and to maintain pH balance while you are detoxifying, one needs an abundance of alkaline buffers.
Alkaline Water is Important to Cleanse the Cells of Toxins. In order to rid the body of acidic wastes, it is important that you have sufficient buffers, and that's a big reason why alkaline water is good. Our blood requires and actually enforces pH balance and when water is too acidic, your body is unable to flush out the acidic wastes from your cells and tissues. Organs deteriorate and disease sets in over time when you don't flush out the acidic wastes.
Antioxidant Water is the Healthiest Water to Drink
Not only is alkaline water good, but also the fact that ionized water is antioxidant water is fantastic! The healthiest water to drink for a variety of reasons is alkaline antioxidant water. It will provide you with pH buffers to help keep your body pH-balanced (slightly alkaline). It's also packed with natural antioxidants [negatively-charged electrons], which are free to naturally fight free radicals. Free radical damage in the body is like rust, and cell membranes can get so degraded that they even mutate if you don't do something about free radicals. Drinking alkaline antioxidant water all day long will help you prevent and even reverse free radical damage. Benefits of Drinking Antioxidant-Rich Ionized Water
Filtered and Ionized Tap Water vs. Bottled Water Brands
There are hundreds of brands of bottled water. The advertising on the various bottled water brands and general perception is that bottled water is the healthiest water to drink. This site will hopefully allow you to look at bottled water in a new light. Bottled water brands are part of a multi-billion dollar industry, which got that way by convincing consumers that their bottled water was cleaner and healthier than tap water. Actually many bottled water brands are really tap-water in disguise. A 4-year study done by the Natural Resources Defense Council found up to 40% of bottled water was just tap water put in a bottle.
Best Ways to Filter Water
The advantages of any water filtration method over bottled water are numerous:
- decreased cost & land-fill wastes;
- increased freshness, convenience & control of what you filter; and
- overall healthier water.
My Personal Favorite Ways to Filter Water
After many years of trials and comparisons, I can tell you that for me these are my personal first, second and third best ways of filtering water.
- Water ionizers are my favorite, because they condition the water to be more bio-available to your cells as well as contain the most antioxidants.
- My second favorite way to filter water is with a non-electric filtering & ionizing device, such as:
- The Alkaline Ionizer Purifier Energizer by AOK Health (this does the best job both of filtering and of producing good levels of molecular hydrogen for only about 10 cents per quart. It hooks to your sink fairly easily or can be installed under the sink with a filter faucet above.
- The Alkaline Plus PH Ionizing Pitcher is similar to the above, but is portable and the cheapest way to get alkaline ionized water.
- My third best way to filter water is to use a hydrogen water generator. I put a lot of emphasis on getting antioxidants from my water because I've tried all kinds of antioxidants and found that the health benefits of H2-antioxidants from ionized or hydrogen-enriched water are very real. I really just don't want to go a day without some sort of hydrogen-antioxidant-enriched water.
For someone wanting only to filter their water, and not alkalinize or ionize it, this page was developed to help you: Water Filtration Basics The data on this page is culled from the top researchers on the planet in the topic of water filtration.
Brands of Bottled Water vs. WellBlue Alkaline Ionizing Pitcher
This video shows the alkalinity of Smart Water, Voss Water, along with the PH pitcher. The Alkaline Plus Ionizing Pitcher can filter and remineralize that water, improve the pH-level to a perfect 9.5 pH and also transform it (ionize it) so it has antioxidants also in the water!
Fluoride Testing of 21 Brands of Bottled Water vs Ionized Water
Why is fluoride bad? Fluoride is a potentially toxic mineral when consumed in anything more than just trace amounts. It's similar to lead. Because of this I take fluoride filtration very seriously. Fluoride is a heavy metal that can be removed from the water with a good fluoride filter. Many bottled water brands have Fluoride in them, so watch the video and/or read the charts on this page to learn more. I also show how my water ionizer is able to remove all of the Fluoride from my regular, municipal tap water. A special Arsenic, Lead, Fluoride filter is able to remove a great deal of Fluoride too, but doesn't do as well as a water ionizer.
See our Basics of Water Filtration page for more information about safely and economically removing Fluoride from tap water.
More Stories of Bottled Water:
Our Earth cannot sustain too much more waste without drastic consequences. This is a serious subject that shouldn't be ignored.
The Recycling Myth
There's also the issue of plastic wastes. Of the billions of bottles of water sold in the US, only about 1/5 is recycled. Then out of the ones that are recycled, not all make it into the actual recycling process. Some even end up in landfills overseas (see video)! That means that not only is the production of bottles costing us millions of barrels of oil each year, but almost all of these bottles are filling our landfills and polluting our earth. The industrial chemicals that are in the material of the bottles haven’t been measured, other than BPA which is only one of the many potentially disease-causing agents in the bottles. Water, the universal solvent, has the ability to leach all kinds of chemicals into itself. The variables of time and temperature are not reported by bottling companies. The EWG, Environmental Working Group, recently found all kinds of contaminants, such as human wastes, bacteria and pharmaceuticals in several brands of bottled water. So, short of doing our own testing of each bottle, we have no assurance of purity and healthiness of any brand of bottled water.
It is time, as a society, that we work to reduce the amounts of things stored in plastics wherever possible. We are being duped into thinking that our recycled bottles are all being responsibly taken care of. Watch the video, below, to get the real story of bottled water.
More Testing of Bottled Water, Tap Water, Soda & Ionized Water
The following chart shows information about popular brands of bottled water as compared to each other and to ionized water that I have collected either myself or from others' videos around the web. Where ORP is mentioned, that stands for "oxidation reduction potential", which is another way of saying antioxidants. The positive "+" sign means the water was oxidizing. The negative "-" sign means it is anti-oxidizing (contains antioxidants) and is in-line with what our bodies will accept readily. I do a lot of testing of ORP, because water has amazing healing qualities if the ORP is in the negative range. The antioxidants in negatively-charge, ionized, water have the ability to even enter cells and reduce free-radical damage that exists as well as prevent it. Read more about the benefits of ionized water for both your health and your wallet.
None of the bottled water tested offers acceptable drinking water in my opinion, even the ones that are alkaline. The bottles pose a potential of disease-causing chemicals from the plastic; long-term storage gives further risks; techniques used to super-oxidize the water makes it super full of free-radicals; and even pharmaceuticals have been found in several brands of bottled water.
|Brand||Description/Notes||PH||ORP||Fluoride Content [mg./liter]|
|Absopure||Natural Spring Water: Processed by 1 Micron filtration, UV light, and Ozonated.||7.5||+281||.15|
|Amway Perfect Water||Bottled ionized water.||7.2||+250|
|Aquafina||Filtered Municipal Water [Made by Pepsi] Purified by reverse osmosis.||5||+430||.01|
|Aqua Hydrate||Processed water with alkalinity and electrolytes added.||9|
|Arrowhead||US Spring Water. Called Mountain Spring water, but judging from the acidity, it's probably valley spring.||6.83||+360|
|Chill [Super Chill]||Natural Spring Water [from Jackson County, Michigan]||7.5||+271||.08|
|Chippewa Water||Spring water from Chippewa Falls, WI||5.5|
|Core||Ultra purified mineral enhanced water.||7.5|
|Crystal Geyser||Plain Water||6.5||+324|
|Culligan||RO Purified & Remineralized||8||+214|
|Dassani||Purified Tap Water [made by Coke]||5.0||+378||.09|
|Deer Park||Spring water, bottled by Nestle||6.3||+450|
|Distilled||Walmart Brand Distilled Water||5.0||+400||0|
|Drinking Water||Walmart Brand RO Purified Water [Remineralized]||4.5||+274||.15|
|Essentia||Purified, enhanced with electrolytes and Micro-Clustered Water [ionized]||9.5||+188||.15|
|Eternal Water||Naturally mountain spring water. Naturally alkaline water; electrolyte rich||7||+255||.03|
|Ethos||Processed water from California...made by Starbucks.||8|
|Evamor||Artesian well water||8||+174||.21|
|Evolve||Wisconsin spring water; nothing added.||8|
|Fiji||Fiji Spring Water: From an ancient artesian aquifer deep within the earth.||7||+274||.1|
|Function||Water that is reconstituted from steam.||5||+436||0|
|Gatorade||This is made with regular water [not purified] and at least some artificial ingredients.||3.5||+325|
|Gerber Pure Water||Purified using reverse osmosis and distillation, with the following added: magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate, calcium chloride.||6.5||+297||0|
|Great Value RO Water||Walmart Brand "Drinking Water" bottled in Quincy, IL, and processed by reverse osmosis.||6.5||+380|
|Ice Canyon||Spring water from CVS pharmacy.||7.5|
|Icelandic||Spring water from Iceland.||8.0|
|Ice Mountain||Natural Spring Water: From Frontier Springs, located in New Tripoli, PA and other cities in Pennsylvania and Maryland.||6.5||+302||.07|
|Hilton Head, Tap||Hilton Head Municipal Water Supply||8||+350|
|Ionized Water||Ionized water can get up to a 10 or 11 pH and -700 ORP (lots of antioxidants). Ionization also removes about half the Flouride.||10||-700||0 - .05|
|Life Water||Filtered water from Pepsi||6|
|Northern Chill||Wisconsiin spring water.||7|
|Penta||Purified water... 11-hour process [Purified by reverse osmosis/deionization with USP medical-grade oxygen. Source Colton Municipas Water District]||4||+392||.08|
|Perrier Water||Sparkling Water Made by Nestle||5.5||+400|
|Poland Spring Water||Spring Water Bottled by Nestle||6.0||+380||.08|
|Propel Fitness Drink||Gatorade's version of processed and flavored water. Most varieties are acidic, but there is one that adds minerals and is 8 pH.||3.6||+280|
|[Nestle] Pure Life
|Purified water & enhanced with minerals. Bottled by Nestle||6.5||0|
|Niagra||Purified RO water.||5.0|
|[Gerber] Pure Water||Gerber brand purified with RO and remineralized.||6.5||+297|
|Real Water||Micro-Clustered Water||8.0||-60
|Soda: Canned Diet Pepsi||Typical Canned or Bottled Soda. Fountain sodas are often a little higher pH.||3.24||+377|
|Smartwater||Distilled and remineralized with calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and potasium bicarbonate.||6||+296||0|
|Spring Water||"Great Value" Walmart Brand spring water. Source: Hummel Spring, Liberty, IL. Processed by Ozonation, carbon filtration ultraviolet treatment and microfiltration.||7||+284||.14|
|Super Chill||Natural Spring Water [from Jackson County, Michigan]||7||+271||.08|
Tap water usually ranges from about 7 to 9 pH
Hilton Head South Carolina 8 pH
Los Angeles City and County 7.5 pH
New York City Water 4.0 - 7.0
New York Well Water 6.5
St. Louis City and County Water Company [Tap] 9.4
|Vitaminwater||Purified, flavored water.||3.4||+430|
|Volvic||A brand of mineral water from France.||7.5|
|Voss Water||Artesian well water from Norway.||5.5||+256||.19|
|WellBlue Pitcher||Lightly filtering and ionizing bottled water or tap water with portable WellBlue ionizer pitcher. Gives a Negative ORP (antioxidants).||9.5||-100||
Summary: Facts about Bottled Water Brands
- All brands of bottled water are a lot more expensive than if you filtered the water properly yourself.
- Bottled water is often acidic.
- Bottled water brands are not regulated for water quality safety as well as municipalities are for your tap water.
- We are filling the landfills with empty bottles. We can't even use all the recycled plastics.
- The bottles are made with petroleum and there is chemical leaching into the water from them.
- Even with the best alkaline water brands, by the time they get to you they won't be even close to "perfect" any more.
- You can do a far better job of getting the best water (filtered and ionized to perfection) on your own with one of our great alkaline water machines, or our new Alkaline Plus PH Pitcher.