- Healing Ability of Molecular Hydrogen
Healing Ability of Molecular Hydrogen
What is Molecular Hydrogen or Hydrogen Water?
Hydrogen water is not the same as regular H20 (normal water). It looks and tastes the same, but it's better, because it contains molecular hydrogen Molecular hydrogen is simply two hydrogens lightly bonded to each other. Molecular hydrogen is rare to be found close to the earth's surface, because it's so light. It evaporates. Where it has been found and used naturally, such as in the caves at Nordenau, it has proven to have healing benefits. Also, where these hydrogen molecules have been added to water (with a water ionizer or other type of hydrogen machine) the same benefits can be seen. Hundreds of research studies have found this to be true.
Hydrogen water is healthier for our bodies because it contains free-hydrogen. Free-hydrogen fights free-radicals, and does it better than any other antioxidant. Free-hydrogen (known as molecular hydrogen by scientists) acts as the absolute most effective antioxidant known to man. Hydrogen water is normal water which has hydrogen gas (free-hydrogen) added to it. Free-hydrogen is also referred to as diatomic hydrogen, which is an older term, or hydrogen antioxidants, emphasizing its role in health.
Healing benefits of hydrogen antioxidants.
Ionized water is the most powerful, healthy thing you can drink. The hydrogen antioxidants in ionized water are also the safest antioxidants. Hydrogen water from a water ionizer or hydrogen water machine is both the best and most economical way to get hydrogen antioxidants.
Ordinary water contains hydrogen, but it's already bonded to oxygen and is not free-hydrogen. Tap water and bottled water, alike, contain zero molecular hydrogen, in other words - zero hydrogen antioxidants. In order to obtain hydrogen antioxidants, one has to have them pumped into water with a water ionizer, a hydrogen machine, an ionizing filter or hydrogen tablets dropped into water.
See proof about the healing benefits of molecular hydrogen on our scientific-studies page. Here are five examples of the healing benefits of molecular hydrogen that have been studied. Over 170 diseases have been studied so far and found to be benefited by molecular hydrogen.
...and so on!
Hydrogen water contains hydrogen molecules. In this form hydrogen has been known to fight or prevent over 170 diseases, including heart disease, cancer, stroke and Altzheimer's disease (the top killers in the U.S.). Here is a partial list of diseases hydrogen antioxidants (molecular hydrogen) have been shown to help. Click here to see details about the actual scientific research studies, themselves.
If you go to our Scientific Studies page you can see the actual research on this. Molecular hydrogen antioxidants, in its many forms, such as hydrogen water and hydrogen gas, has been seen to positively influence, ameliorate, or even reverse many diseases. There have been over 170 diseases to date shown to be helped by hydrogen. Please note that we are not making medical claims by reporting this data. The data on this page represents (demonstrates and summarizes) the latest research into the important topic of hydrogen as it relates to one's health. In addition to this data, for those who want to read more, I have also posted links to each of over 100 scientific research articles on the Scientific Studies page.
Benefits of Molecular Hydrogen (12-Minute Video)
Therapeutic free-hydrogen is such a new subject, is so unique, and has such wide implications in treating and preventing disease, it deserves spending some time studying it to catch up on this important science. Consuming hydrogen water and ionized water has no side effects; is completely safe in any amount; and thousands of articles have been written so far showing its therapeutic value in both preventing and eradicating diseases. For actual scientific literature about hydrogen water, ionized water and hydrogen gas, again - see our Scientific Studies page.
Definitions, Background & Basics: For anyone who gets lost in the scientific terminology, I have some key points bulleted for you:
- Defining Molecular Hydrogen: First, when we talk about molecular hydrogen, it's just two hydrogens bonded, H2 gas. In this form, it's stable, but it's very light, so will evaporate quickly. Molecular hydrogen is the smallest molecule in the universe. It's just hydrogen gas, a gas, but it's very energy-dense and super healthy. Molecular hydrogen is known to be therapeutic, whether you inhale it, or dissolve it in water and drink it, but drinking it has shown more sustained benefits, that last longer than inhaling.
- How Molecular Hydrogen Helps to Heal & Prevent Diseases:
- Molecular hydrogen lowers oxidative stress. Oxidative stress and inflammation are two of the worst mechanisms for destroying human health.
- Molecular hydrogen allieviates inflammation, which is the underlying cause to many diseases.
- The thousands of publications on molecular hydrogen all suggest that hydrogen has a therapeutic potential in over 170 different human and animal diseases.
- Molecular hydrogen is shown to be effective in helping virtually every organ, whether it is diseased or not.
- When you look at the free-radicals, not all are bad. Some free radicals, such as nitric oxide, are "good" and are needed by the body. Molecular hydrogen doesn't neutralize these "good" free-radicals, only the bad ones. Hydrogen is proven to be "selective" in this way.
- Most other antioxidants, are not selective, which can be problematic. With other types of antioxidants (in some of their clinical trials) the patients took high levels of antioxidants. In these trials they had to stop the study, because of negative results. Those other antioxidants were killing off the "good" free-radicals. This is not the case with hydrogen, because of the fact that it's selective.
- Molecular hydrogen helps to bring the body into balance, only, and this has been demonstrated in studies.
- There is no chance of "over-dosing" on molecular hydrogen. If your body doesn't need it, the excess simply evaporates.
- Some animal research shows that molecular hydrogen actually has the potential to prevent oxidative stress related injuries or diseases from ocurring. For instance, when administering molecular hydrogen to a test animal prior to introduction of the toxin or injury, the test animal didn't get affected like the other control groups.
- Recently, in medical applications, using molecular hydrogen therapy concurrant to oxygen therapy has been seen to counteract and diminish the harmful effects that are often expected with oxygen therapy.
- Who Can Consume Molecular Hydrogen? Anybody can have it: a pregnant mother, a child, a baby, the elderly, everybody. It is known to positively affect the unborn child. Prof. Watanabe Ifao, in Japan, worked with tens of thousands of pre-eclampsia patients and found that the condition was ameliorated with ionized water. Also, the newborn children of these mothers were healthier and brighter than similar patients who did not drink ionized water during pregnancy. Hydrogen gas itself is very safe and protective of the body and its cells and organs. Hydrogen has been used it in deep sea diving to prevent decompression sickness since the 1940s. It is seen to have no toxic effects and has been demonstrated to be very safe.
- How Can You Consume Molecular Hydrogen? There are many ways to administer molecular hydrogen: drinking ionized water is the primary one, but also inhalation of hydrogen gas and drinking of hydrogen water made by a hydrogen gas machine or hydrogen water machine are gaining in popularity. Bathing in hydrogen water is a another way to achieve therapeutic benefits. But, the easiest and most practical way to consume molecular hydrogen is to just simply drink it.
- Storing Hydrogen Water: You shouldn't store hydrogen water in plastic or open containers, unless you plan to drink it right away, because hydrogen is the smallest molecule. It will dissipate right out of the container. You should store it just like you would store ionized water, in a vacuum-sealed stainless bottle, especially made to have a nipple-top, which pushes out the air-bubble when you close it.
- More Important Information About Molecular Hydrogen & Its Research:
- One of the reasons why hydrogen is so therapeutically beneficial, is because it permeates every membrane in your body. There is not a space that it cannot get into, whether it's your cell membrane, the blood-brain barrier, the mitochondrial membrane, it goes there. Just nothing stops it.
- Most compounds have hydrogen in them, but hydrogen gas is just two hydrogen atoms that are bound together. In this form it is free to fight free-radicals. Free-hydrogen is not free in any other form. Also, it is not going to be available close to the earth's surface unless you produce it, such as with a water ionizer or hydrogen machine, because it is too light and will evaporate.
- One reason why hydrogen is so good is because it's a weak antioxidant. It's able to go in and fairly quickly help to create a balanced environment in the body. When it's not needed, it simply evaporates and does nothing.
Molecular Hydrogen Research in Medicine
Molecular Hydrogen is truly the best antioxidant. The health benefits of this tiny molecule are just touching the surface of public awareness right now. The ground-breaking studies of molecular hydrogen have been going on for about 30 years, but really took off about 10 years ago with Dr. Ohta's scientific article about molecular hydrogen explained. When Dr. Ohta discovered and proved that molecular hydrogen acted as a selective antioxidant (didn't destroy the "good" free-radicals -- only the bad), that lit a fire among other researchers, who were frustrated by the problems that were presented by other antioxidants. Here is a video where Dr. Ohta of Japan is being interviewed by Tyler Lebaron of the Molecular Hydrogen Institute about his dozen years of research into the medical uses of molecular hydrogen and its safety.
Notes From the Interview: Molecular hydrogen, also known as hydrogen gas, can be consumed most conveniently when dissolved in water.
- Molecular Hydrogen can penetrate the cell membrane barrier; blood-brain-barrier and placenta barrier; get right into the cell (where mutations occur) and actually heal the cell damage that is caused by oxidative stress. NO other antioxidant is capable of doing this.
- It appears that molecular hydrogen protects the mitochondria and that is one theory as to why it positively affects so many organs and diseases. Mitochondria are where cell-mutation is known to initiate, and the cause is theorized as oxidation. Molecular hydrogen combats that and therefore a preventative measure we should all take as well as a therapeutic measure for fighting just about any disease.
- Molecular hydrogen has no known disadvantages to health or warnings. Where it is not needed, it does nothing. Where it is needed it is seen to have a powerful and significant beneficial influence.
Molecular Hydrogen's Ability to Scavenge Free Radicals Anywhere in the Body
Molecular Hydrogen is known by many prominent researchers world wide for its ability to truly penetrate through cell membranes (even the blood-brain barrier) and scavenge free radicals.
Hydrogen is not like any other antioxidant, due to its tiny size and its lipid solubility. Hydrogen (unlike all other antioxidants) can get into every living part of the body. All other antioxidants are incapable of this feat. Another thing that makes it different from all other free-radical scavengers is that it simply evaporates or turns into water when it's "used up", so it creates no danger of becoming a free-radical itself as other antioxidants do.
Hydrogen at the Root of Life
School children know that the combination of H2 and Oxygen makes water, which is at the source of all life. Oxygen also brings life, but unfortunately complications arise when there is too much oxidation within the body and there is not enough balance of hydrogen. This condition is called Oxidative Stress is thought to be at the root of almost all disease. Oxygen can actually become a dangerous free radical within the body when it has lost its electron balance. When it's in this state it's called Active Oxygen. While Active Oxygen is capable of causing a terrific amount of damage to cells, tiny little molecular hydrogen can calm it down completely; neutralize it; turn it into harmless water or gas and safely escort it out of the body. This is done with no harmful waste or byproducts produced.
Recent research has shown that hydrogen is able to safely neutralize active oxygen and render it utterly harmless. (See links on the scientific research studies page.) At the same time molecular hydrogen doesn't attack good radicals in the body. It will never act as a poison to the body, and any excess of it will simply evaporate harmlessly and combine with oxygen in the air to hydrate or moisturize it.
Other types of antioxidants have been found to become free-radicals, themselves, once they have donated their electron to neutralize another molecule. This doesn't happen with molecular hydrogen. As a matter of fact molecular hydrogen is able to refresh the antioxidant abilities of various other antioxidants to keep them from becoming free-radicals. After much testing and scrutinizing by research scientists worldwide, no negative effects whatsoever have been found to be caused by molecular hydrogen.
Molecular Hydrogen Machines & Filters
You can consume molecular hydrogen safely in a variety of ways. One of my favorite ways is with a water ionizer [Note: It's important which water ionizer you choose. Some water ionizers are consistent in their ability to produce molecular hydrogen for the life of the machine (to do this the machine must use "continuous cleaning" of the plates). To find these water ionizers that continuously clean the plates go to the Water Ionizer Comparisons page and look for the 13th column (Cleaning Type & Quality). Some of the most expensive water ionizers do not have "continuous-cleaning", they all have some sort of cleaning, but it isn't continuous, so watch for that. Without continuous-cleaning you can expect that water ionizer to lose its ability to produce molecular hydrogen over time.
One final way to very efficiently consume molecular hydrogen is by using a Hydrogen Gas Inhaler. I personally use a combination of all of these types of molecular hydrogen producing devices.
How Much Molecular Hydrogen Do We Want In Water and How is it Measured?
Scientists studying molecular hydrogen's positive effects on health suggest that a range of .5 ppm (parts per million) to .7 ppm are desirable. Most medical studies have used these levels.
The concentration of 1.6 ppm is considered the concentration of "complete saturation", because it is the concentration that would exist if only hydrogen gas were present in that glass, at the pressure of sea-level. But any level greater than 1.0 ppm has not used in studies and is probably not needed by the body. That being said, there is no known toxicity-level of molecular hydrogen.
There are 2 main ways to test hydrogen concentration levels in water: 1) with a Trustlex Hydrogen meter, 2) with methylene blue drops dissolved in ethyl alcohol with colloidal platinum. The problem with the drops is that their accuracy is not consistent. This may be due to the fact it's impossible to ensure perfect concentrations are in the bottle, unless you made the solution fresh that day. Or, it could have to do with the fact that the dropper does not give out the same sized drops each time. So, I do sometimes use the drops, but my favorite way to test for molecular hydrogen is with the Trustlex meter. There are complications with the Trustlex meter too. You have to make sure it is moistened up sufficiently before testing and that the platinum probe is completely free of any mineralization whatsoever.
Does Hydrogen Gas Actually Dissolve Into the Water?
Yes. When you test the water for hydrogen levels, you are measuring exactly that: how much hydrogen gas is dissolved into the water. If you lower the temperature or increase the air pressure, this can effect the amount of hydrogen that can be initially dissolved into the water. But after initially dissolving in water, the hydrogen will start to dissipate out of solution at about the rate of half of the concentration every 2 hours (called a half-life of 2 hours). You can extend the half-life by using a better container for storage, such as my vacuum sealed stainless bottles. The best practices are: 1) drink molecular hydrogen enriched water fairly quickly after making it, 2) store it in the right container, especially if you aren't going to drink it right away, and 3) drink lots of it all day long.
That very same hydrogen gas half-life, mentioned in the last paragraph, applies to the amount of time you can expect molecular hydrogen to remain in your body. But recent research indicates it tends to continue working for you (to fight free-radicals, prevent disease and to even reverse free-radical damage and allieviate disease) for up to several days after drinking. The reason for this extended benefit is unknown.