- Hydrogen Water Fights Diseases
Hydrogen Water Fights Diseases
What is Hydrogen Water?
Hydrogen water is not the same as regular H20 (water). It looks and tastes the same, but it's better. Hydrogen water is healthier for our bodies because it contains free hydrogen, which acts as the most effective antioxidant known to man). Hydrogen water is normal water which has hydrogen gas (H2) added to it. Hydrogen gas is also referred to as molecular hydrogen, diatomic hydrogen, or hydrogen antioxidants. (Note: Most medical studies use concentrations of .5 to .7 ppm of molecular hydrogen. The highest concentration of hydrogen gas possible to be added to water, is about 1.5 to 1.6 parts per million (unless you force it in under pressure.)
Healing benefits of hydrogen antioxidants.
Hydrogen Water Fights Diseases
Hydrogen water is the most powerful, healthy thing you can drink. Hydrogen antioxidants ("molecular hydrogen" or also called "diatomic hydrogen") are simply 2 hydrogens bonded together as a very small molecule. Hydrogen antioxidants are now known to be the most powerful and safe antioxidants in the world. Ordinary water doesn't contain hydrogen antioxidants. In order to obtain hydrogen antioxidants, one has to have them pumped into water with a water ionizer, a hydrogen machine, an ionizing filter or hydrogen tablets dropped into water.
Here is a partial list of diseases hydrogen antioxidants (molecular hydrogen) have been shown to help. Click here to see details about the actual scientific research studies, themselves.
- Alexander disease
- Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
- Athlete's foot
- Atopic dermetitis
- Autoimune disorders
- Bed sores
- Bone Loss
- Cardio renal symptoms
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Chemo: It is also known to relieve the oxidative stress that causes negative side effects with chemo-therapy and helps to maintain normal ATP levels.
- Chrones disease
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Collagen disease
- Colon diseases
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diabetes mellitus
- Diabetic necrosis
- Frontotemporal lobar degeneration
- Heart attacks
- Heart disease or coronary artery disease,
- HGC disorders
- High blood pressure
- Huntington's disease
- Hypersensitive disorders
- Inflammatory disorders
- Ischemic brain injuries
- Kawasaki's disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Muscle fatigue of athletes
- Myocardial infarction
- Neurological disorders
- Parkinson's Disease
- Pre-eclamptic toxemia
- Prion disease
- Radiation damage
- Respiratory infections
- Sickle cell disease
- Sperm concentration disorders
- Sperm motility disorders
- Testicular oxidative stress
- Traumatic brain injury
- Ulcerative colitis
If you go to our Scientific Studies page you can see the actual research on this. Clearly molecular hydrogen antioxidants, in its many forms, such as hydrogen water and hydrogen gas, has been seen to positively influence, ameliorate, or even reverse many diseases. There have been over 170 diseases to date shown to be helped by hydrogen. Please note that we are not making medical claims by reporting this data. The data on this page represents (demonstrates and summarizes) the latest research into the important topic of hydrogen as it relates to one's health. In addition to this data, for those who want to read more, I have also posted links to each of the scientific research articles on the Scientific Studies page.
Benefits of Molecular Hydrogen (12-Minute Video)
Therapeutic Hydrogen is such a new subject, is so unique, and has such wide implications in treating and preventing disease, it deserves spending some time studying it to catch up on this important science. Consuming hydrogen water, ionized water and hydrogen gas has no side effects; is completely safe in any amount; and over a thousands articles have been written so far showing its therapeutic value in both preventing and eradicating diseases. For actual scientific literature about hydrogen water, ionized water and hydrogen gas, see our Scientific Studies page.
Definitions, Background & Basics: For anyone who gets lost in the scientific terminology, I have some key points bulleted for you:
- Defining Molecular Hydrogen: First, when we talk about molecular hydrogen, it's just diatomic hydrogen, H2 gas... which is the smallest molecule in the universe. It's just hydrogen gas, a gas, but it's three times more energy-dense than gasoline. This is the same hydrogen that is being looked at as an alternative energy source or fuel. It's what powers the sun. Hydrogen is now being known to be therapeutic, whether you inhale it, dissolve it in water and drink it, or other methods of its application.
- What Stimulated all the Recent Boom in Research into Molecular Hydrogen (hydrogen water and hydrogen gas)? An article published in Nature Medicine gave a significant boost to US and other countries' involvement in scientific research about this important healing molecule. Nature Medicine is one of the more reputable or prestigious scientific journals. This article showed that hydrogen was effective at preventing the brain damage from ischemia reperfusion [Ischemia = inadequate blood supply][reperfusion = the act of restoring adequate blood supply to an organ or organs], but inhalation of only 2% hydrogen gas … was effective at suppressing the brain damage and was a great discovery.
- How Molecular Hydrogen Helps to Heal & Prevent Diseases:
- Molecular hydrogen lowers oxidative stress. Oxidative stress and inflamation are two of the worst mechanisms for destroying human health. That's why this is so exciting...molecular hydrogen is probably the best antioxidant out there.
- Inflammation & oxidative stress are the underlying causes to virtually every disease.
- There are over 1,000 publications on molecular hydrogen, and they suggest that hydrogen has a therapeutic potential in over 170 different human and animal diseases.
- Hydrogen is shown to be effective in virtually every organ. It heals and prevents and cures by mitigating the area of oxidative stress and inflammation.
- When you look at the other free radicals, nitric oxide, a "good" free radical, we don't want to neutralize that. But hydrogen doesn't eliminate any of the "good" free radicals and has only been seen to neutralize toxic (bad) ones. That Nature Medicine publication in 2007 specifically showed this ability to hydrogen to be selective.
- Most other antioxidants, are not selective, which can be problematic. With other types of antioxidants in some of the clinical trials the patients took high levels of antioxidants and they had to stop the clinical studies, because of negative results. This is not the case with hydrogen.
- Hydrogen helps to bring everything into balance, and this has been demonstrated in studies.
- Some of the animal research shows that hydrogen actually has the potential to prevent oxidative stress related injuries or diseases from ocurring. They administered the hydrogen therapy prior to introduction of the toxin or injury, and saw that the group given hydrogen didn't get affected like the other control groups.
- For hydrogen, often you have to administer some sort of a toxin or an assault of some sort, and you look to see how hydrogen mitigated or rescued or attenuated those effects from that toxin-induced problem. Otherwise, if there is no toxic assault or injury, and everything is already in homeostasis, the hydrogen is very mild and just gets sloughed off.
- Who Can Consume Molecular Hydrogen? Anybody can have it, pregnant, the child, everybody. It is known to positively affect the unborn child. Hydrogen gas itself is very safe and protective of the body and its cells and organs. Hydrogen has been used it in deep sea diving to prevent decompression sickness since the 1940s. It is seen to have no toxic effects and has been demonstrated to be very safe.
- How Can You Consume Molecular Hydrogen? There are many ways to administer hydrogen: inhalation of hydrogen gas, drinking of hydrogen water and drinking of ionized water. Bathing in hydrogen water is a another way to do it. But the easiest and most practical way to consume molecular hydrogen is to just simply drink it.
- Storing Hydrogen Water: You can't have hydrogen water stored in plastic containers, because hydrogen is the smallest molecule. It will dissipate right out of the container. You should store it just like you would store ionized water.
- More Important Information About Molecular Hydrogen & Its Research:
- One of the reasons why hydrogen is so therapeutically beneficial, is because it permeates every membrane in your body. There is not a space that it cannot get into, whether it's your cell membrane, the blood-brain barrier, the mitochondrial membrane, it goes there. Just nothing stops it.
- Most compounds have hydrogen in them, but hydrogen gas is just two hydrogen atoms that are bound together. Hydrogen gas is not going to be available unless you produce it, because it is too light and will evaporate.
- The reason why hydrogen is so good is because it's a weak antioxidant. It's able to go in and slowly help to create a balanced environment in the body
Molecular Hydrogen Research in Medicine
Molecular Hydrogen is truly the best antioxidant. The health benefits of this tiny molecule are just touching the surface of public awareness right now. The ground-breaking study that Tyler was referring to as the reason he took this up as his life's work, was done by Dr. Ohta of Japan. Molecular Hydrogen research has been going on for about 30 years, but really took off about 10 years ago with Dr. Ohta's scientific article about molecular hydrogen. Here is a video where Dr. Ohta of Japan is being interviewed by Tyler Lebaron of the Molecular Hydrogen Institute about his dozen years of research into the medical uses of molecular hydrogen and its safety.
Notes From the Interview: Molecular hydrogen, also known as hydrogen gas, H2 or H2-, can be consumed most conveniently when dissolved in water, but one is also able to inhale it with a cannula.
- Molecular Hydrogen can penetrate the cell membrane barrier; blood-brain-barrier and placenta barrier; get right into the cell (where mutations occur) and heal the cell damage that is caused by oxidative stress. NO other antioxidant is capable of doing this.
- It appears that molecular hydrogen protects the mitochondria and that is one theory as to why it positively affects so many organs and diseases. Mitochondria is where cell-mutation is known to initiate, and the cause is theorized as oxidation.
- Molecular hydrogen has no known disadvantages to health or warnings. Where is is not needed, it does nothing. Where it is needed it is seen to have a powerful and significant beneficial influence.
Molecular Hydrogen's Ability to Scavenge Free Radicals
Molecular Hydrogen is known by many prominent researchers world wide for its ability to truly penetrate through cell membranes (even the blood-brain barrier) and scavenge free radicals.
Hydrogen is not like any other antioxidant, due to its tiny size and its lipid solubility. Hydrogen (unlike all other antioxidants) can get into every living part of the body. All other antioxidants are incapable of this feat. Another thing that makes it different from all other free-radical scavengers is that it simply evaporates or turns into water when it's "used up", so it creates no danger of becoming a free-radical itself as other antioxidants do.
Hydrogen at the Root of Life
School children know that the combination of H2 and Oxygen makes water, which is at the source of all life. Oxygen also brings life, but unfortunately complications arise when there is too much oxidation within the body and there is not enough balance of hydrogen. This condition is called Oxidative Stress is thought to be at the root of almost all disease. Oxygen can actually become a dangerous free radical within the body when it has lost its electron balance. When it's in this state it's called Active Oxygen. While Active Oxygen is capable of causing a terrific amount of damage to cells, tiny little molecular hydrogen can calm it down completely; neutralize it; turn it into harmless water or gas and safely escort it out of the body. This is done with no harmful waste or byproducts produced.
Recent research has shown that hydrogen is able to safely neutralize active oxygen and render it utterly harmless. (See links on the scientific research studies page.) At the same time molecular hydrogen doesn't attack good radicals in the body. It will never act as a poison to the body, and any excess of it will simply evaporate harmlessly and combine with oxygen in the air to hydrate or moisturize it.
Other types of antioxidants have been found to become free-radicals, themselves, once they have donated their electron to neutralize another molecule. This doesn't happen with molecular hydrogen. As a matter of fact molecular hydrogen is able to refresh the antioxidant abilities of various other antioxidants to keep them from becoming free-radicals. After much testing and scrutinizing no negative effects whatsoever have been found to be caused by molecular hydrogen.
Molecular Hydrogen Machines & Filters
You can consume molecular hydrogen safely in a variety of ways. One of my favorite ways is with a high-end water ionizer [Note: It's important which water ionizer you choose. Some water ionizers are consistent in their ability to produce molecular hydrogen for the life of the machine (to do this the machine must use "continuous cleaning" of the plates). To find these water ionizers that continuously clean the plates go to the Water Ionizer Comparisons page and look for the 13th column (Cleaning Type & Quality). Some of the most expensive water ionizers do not have "continuous-cleaning", they all have some sort of cleaning, but it isn't continuous, so watch for that. Without continuous-cleaning you can expect that water ionizer to lose its ability to produce molecular hydrogen over time.
Hydrogen machines and ionizing water filters are wonderful ways to consume molecular hydrogen. Another way to very efficiently consume molecular hydrogen is by using a Hydrogen Gas Inhaler. I personally use a combination of all of these types of molecular hydrogen producing devices.
How Much Molecular Hydrogen Do We Want In Water and How is it Measured?
Scientists studying molecular hydrogen's positive effects on health suggest that a range of .5 ppm (parts per million) to .7 ppm are desirable. Most medical studies have used these levels. In scientific literature, the concentration of 1.6 ppm is considered the concentration of "complete saturation", because it is the concentration that would exist if only hydrogen gas were present in that glass, at the pressure of sea-level, but this level is not used in studies and is this much concentration is not particularly needed.
There are 2 main ways to test hydrogen concentration levels in water: 1) with a Trustlex Hydrogen meter, 2) with methylene blue drops dissolved in ethyl alcohol with colloidal platinum. The problem with the drops is that their accuracy is not consistent. This may be due to the fact it's impossible to ensure perfect concentrations are in the bottle, unless you made the solution fresh that day. Or, it could have to do with the fact that the dropper does not give out the same sized drops each time. So, I do sometimes use the drops, but my favorite way to test for molecular hydrogen is with the Trustlex meter.
Does Hydrogen Gas Actually Dissolve Into the Water?
Yes. When you test the water for hydrogen levels, you are measuring exactly that: how much hydrogen gas is dissolved into the water. If you lower the temperature or increase the air pressure, this can effect the amount of hydrogen that can be initially dissolved into the water. But after initially dissolving in water, the hydrogen will start to dissipate out of solution at about the rate of half of the concentration every 2 hours (called a half-life of 2 hours). You can extend the half-life by using a better container for storage, such as my vacuum sealed stainless bottles. The best practices are: 1) drink molecular hydrogen enriched water fairly quickly after making it, 2) store it in the right container, especially if you aren't going to drink it right away, and 3) drink lots of it all day long.
That very same hydrogen gas half-life, mentioned in the last paragraph, applies to the amount of time you can expect molecular hydrogen to remain in your body. But recent research indicates it tends to continue working for you (to fight free-radicals, prevent disease and to even reverse free-radical damage and alieviate disease) for up to several days after drinking. The reason for this extended benefit is unknown.